PDA

View Full Version : What are some fantasy magazines that pay for submissions?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JJohns
May 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I'm trying to put a list together of literary magazines that publish fantasy short stories. Could anyone recommend some? So far I have Realms of Fantasy, but can't find any others.

On a side note, since Realms of Fantasy owns the short story you submit, would it be acceptable if I submit a short story about a future character in my novel? The short story's intended to flesh out that character (for me, at least) but I want to use the character in the future and allude to events of the short story. I just don't want to get screwed in that sense. Thanks!

JamesL
May 5th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I don't see any problem with using the character in the future (for example, in a novel) and mentioning events in the short story. The more likely problem would be if you actually re-used material from the short story in the later work. That might be problematic.

As for paying magazines in the fantasy genre, the big-hitters I can think off the top of my head are Interzone, Black Gate, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Fantasy magazine, along with Realms of Fantasy of course.

For other markets, check out www.ralan.com and look in the "semi & pro" and "paying markets" lists.

Holbrook
May 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM
On a side note, since Realms of Fantasy owns the short story you submit,

Confused here, I assume you mean Realms of Fantasy are buying the right to publish your short story in one of their mags. The copyright is and should be yours. Most mags/anthologies hold the publishing rights for a limited period then they return to you. Ditto for books as well.

Edited to add;

Where as Ralan.com is very good do (and I can't stress this enough) double check with other sources the markets on there, some are very small outfits that have and do go belly up, vanishing over night, then you have wasted both effort and more importantly time in submitting.

Ward
May 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM
As Holbrook says, magazines do not buy the copyright for your work, they buy rights to it (which vary, but are generally something like 'first north american serial rights'). Your stories are yours.

The only real exceptiosn to that are if you are contracted to do a work for hire arrangment, such as writing fiction in a shared universe or fictional world belonging to someone else (like writing a story for an rpg).

Ralan's is the best market site, duotrope is also useful.