PDA

View Full Version : Oh I see how it is :(

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SubZero61992
May 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Eoin Colfer has literally taken every idea I've thought of and wrote it down to create one foul... Aretemis Fowl!!!
He used my ideas of combining ancient things with modern thing, like elves with guns, and he used my idea of telling the story from more then one persons perspective!!!

Isnt that awesome? Ha, Artemis Fowl is definately a good book.

KatG
May 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Glad you like it. My husband does too. But Coffler's idea isn't new either. Contemporary fantasy regularly features elves, fairies, the occasional dragon. As I've mentioned before, in the 1980's we used to call them the "elves with computers" books.

It also used to be that if you did not read the full spectrum of fantasy fiction, then you were considered not a true fan. But somewhere along the way, fantasy seems to have gotten divided into two camps, contemporary/modern history and ancient/epic -- with a boundary line of the Renaissance -- that are studiously into ignoring each other's existence. That seems to be changing back a bit now.

MrBF1V3
May 9th, 2007, 12:26 AM
It's happened to me a few times as well. I have a great idea, I'm thinking about it and suddenly someone else writes the book I was thinking about. One time it even had the same title. Coincidence? Great minds thinking alike? Or telepathic plagiarist?

(So I wrote the story: http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/423p0.html )

The simplest idea is usually better, but what fun is that? :)

B5

My kids liked young Mr. Fowl for a while. I think they jumped on to other things.

SubZero61992
May 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I have to admit I thought it was trash when I first started reading it, but it seems after the first few pages the author will grab you.

Expendable
May 9th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I think it's the flem pot fortune-telling.

James Carmack
May 10th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Awesome short you got there, B5. Now I'm going to be all paranoid about Fitzroy mind probing me. ^_^;