PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

-Asher-
May 19th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I know, 2005 movie, but I just saw it on HBO. It was OK maybe 5 or 6 out of 10. But it left me with a few minor questions..

I've searched and read through the old forum posts, but they didn't really explain. I've also read the wikipedia entry for V.

So I get that we don't find out exactly who V was. He was the only survivor of the virus. He was the one who got the autobiography from the girl which he then gives to Evey. So how the hell was he caught in the first place, and how did he get out? (I am assuming the government caught him at one point, or was her ordeal before he was infected?)

The doctor claimed V had no eyes - ??? How does he see?

Also at the end, when everyone takes off their masks we see not only Deitrich alive, but also the little girl who was spray painting and got shot, which started the riots. How are they alive???

Miriamele
May 20th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Interesting questions, Asher. I haven't seent the movie for quite some time, so I'm not sure about the answers.

Didn't V get out of the prison because there was some kind of explosion or fire? Isn't that why he wears a mask, because his face was burnt? (Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he just wants to hide.)

How was he caught in the first place? The same way everyone else was I suppose, by the police (or secret police perhaps).

No, Evey's ordeal was long after V had escaped from prison and set up his underground hideout.

I don't remember anyone saying V had no eyes, what part was that exactly? I think he definitely did have eyes though, the stuff he did would be pretty impressive (if not impossible) if he were blind. :)

At the end, I guess those people were just there in spirit? I dunno, like I said it's been a while since I saw this one. Maybe someone else will be able to do more than just guess.

vicki_girl
May 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM
Interesting questions, Asher. I haven't seen the movie for quite some time, so I'm not sure about the answers.

Didn't V get out of the prison because there was some kind of explosion or fire? Isn't that why he wears a mask, because his face was burnt? (Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he just wants to hide.)

Yes, he was burned in the fire/explosion that got him out of the prison. Based on the one veiw you get of his hands, I believe he is supposed to have severe burns all over his body. Also, it's only obliquely referenced in the movie (much more directly stated in the graphic novel) that V himself actually caused the fire in order to escape.

How was he caught in the first place? The same way everyone else was I suppose, by the police (or secret police perhaps).

No, Evey's ordeal was long after V had escaped from prison and set up his underground hideout.

I aggree.

I don't remember anyone saying V had no eyes, what part was that exactly? I think he definitely did have eyes though, the stuff he did would be pretty impressive (if not impossible) if he were blind. :)

I belive he is refering to the scene from the doctor's diary where she says that she couldn't see his eyes, or that he appeared to have no eyes, but she knew he was looking at her. This is at the end of the fire/explosion scene. I think she was saying that she couldn't see his eyes b/c the light of the fire was behind him, but she could "feel" him staring at her....or something like that.

At the end, I guess those people were just there in spirit? I dunno, like I said it's been a while since I saw this one. Maybe someone else will be able to do more than just guess.

Yes, it's symoblic. Remeber how Evey says that V is her father, mother, etc.? Showing the dead people's faces is reminding us that V is everyone and everyone is V (in typical hollywood fashion.....)

Miriamele
May 21st, 2007, 09:36 AM
I belive he is refering to the scene from the doctor's diary where she says that she couldn't see his eyes, or that he appeared to have no eyes, but she knew he was looking at her. This is at the end of the fire/explosion scene. I think she was saying that she couldn't see his eyes b/c the light of the fire was behind him, but she could "feel" him staring at her....or something like that.

Ah yes, now I remember. That's right, she saw him as a dark shape silhouetted against the flames.

But he DOES have eyes! :)

kater
May 21st, 2007, 11:59 AM
So I get that we don't find out exactly who V was. He was the only survivor of the virus. He was the one who got the autobiography from the girl which he then gives to Evey. So how the hell was he caught in the first place, and how did he get out? (I am assuming the government caught him at one point, or was her ordeal before he was infected?)

The doctor claimed V had no eyes - ??? How does he see?

Also at the end, when everyone takes off their masks we see not only Deitrich alive, but also the little girl who was spray painting and got shot, which started the riots. How are they alive???

In the comic book he was rounded up by the government and put in Larkhill concentration camp where he and four dozen other inmates were used as guinea pigs for hormone treatments. I think they're essentially malcontents and the dregs of society, echoing the theme of oppression used throughout the comic book.

As was said above, the doctor saw him in silhouette briefly at the camp breakout and despite not being able to see where he was looking she 'knew' he was looking straight at her.

vicki_girl's answer to your last question is spot on, V could have been anyone - the mask is a way to back-up the central theme that identity is not important, only the ideas and ideology he was espousing.

-Asher-
May 30th, 2007, 09:48 PM
"So I get that we don't find out exactly who V was. He was the only survivor of the virus. He was the one who got the autobiography from the girl which he then gives to Evey. So how the hell was he caught in the first place, and how did he get out? (I am assuming the government caught him at one point, or was her ordeal before he was infected?)"

Ok, see I thought he must have gotten the girls' story AFTER he had already escaped from Larkhill and was subsequently captured by the goverment.

Thanks all! :)