PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone "Nuts" over "Jericho"?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

boyo
May 21st, 2007, 06:10 AM
The post-apocolyptic CBS drama "Jericho" was recently abruptly canceled at the last minute by the Eye network in a move that has made the series' millions of fans to go "nuts", sending e-mails, telephone calls and, yes, nuts to the number one U.S. television network.

While not a perfect television series by far (yet, has there ever been one, except for, perhaps, the original "Twilight Zone" or maybe the Original Series of "Star Trek"?), this was a capable representation of would "could be", making it a wonderfully low-tech sci-fi series.

CBS has just recently announced that it will somehow wrap up the series, which ended on the worst cliffhanger since the Sci-Fi Channel cancelled "Farscape", but was vague as to how it would do so.

Given the worldwide tensions over terrorism and the still lingering fears over nuclear apocolypse, this show was the most relevant and realistic offering of near-future science fiction in years.

Wulfa_Jones
May 22nd, 2007, 07:16 AM
I started watching the first season and quite enjoyed it, but I missed a few episodes and couldn't get back into it. I heard how the season ends and it did sound quite good and I had planned to get back into it, but now it's been cancelled....

I hear there is quite the push to get it renewed. Has any network ever bowed to fan pressure?

boyo
May 22nd, 2007, 07:38 AM
NBC folded to viewer pressure to renew "Star Trek" back in 1968 for a third season, but then bumped the show to the worst possible time slot...Friday night at 10 p.m. which resulted in the show being canceled at the end of its third season.

It seems to me that one or two other series had to be saved in this manner, but I can't seem to think of any off the top of my head.

kahnovitch
May 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
I hear there is quite the push to get it renewed. Has any network ever bowed to fan pressure?

I think Fox did once with regards to Family Guy.
The DVD sales were impressive enough for them to bring it back.

Quick now! Everyone run out and buy the BOX set of your fave show!

kater
May 25th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Point Pleasant did eventually get the final few episodes shown if I recall. Day Break recently had the last few episodes aired online after it was cancelled mid-season and Firefly got a movie, so there are several routes Jericho could possibly go down. However I'm not convinced it deserved a second season, the show has arguably the best idea behind any show in the last few years but the writers really didn't make it work. The last few episodes were fairly strong, apart from the ending which I felt badly cheated by, otherwise though it has meandered through 20+ episodes with no resolution of the main questions and you can't afford to do that in a competitive slot. They dipped in and out of various storylines without ever deciding whether this was a 'big scheme' show or a look at just the town of Jericho. I'd like to see a second season so we get some answers but I can also understand why it was cancelled.

Amaunette
June 2nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
I just started watching episodes of "Jericho" online at CBS Innertube (http://www.cbs.com/innertube/). I'm about halfway through all the episodes -- if you missed some, this is the place to go to watch them. I don't usually follow television but I was really intrigued by the premise of the show. I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, and similarly themed movies usually didn't turn out so well. This is actually the first I heard it was going to be cancelled, and I am really surprised. I do think the show could be better but I always figured bigger things were being saved for, like, a second season. But I have to say, cancelling "Firefly" was an even bigger mistake. I would like to see more "Jericho," but it's just not as good as some other TV out there. I don't see them wrapping it up as much as neccessary. Even a movie would be too short.

boyo
June 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM
In a nearly unprecedented move, CBS has ordered 7 new episodes of "Jericho" as a mid-season replacement for the upcoming season, bowing to pressure from fans to renew the series. The series will also be continued in some fashion on the internet, although the network was rather vague about this.

The network also requested that fans stop sending nuts.

Amaunette
June 7th, 2007, 09:04 AM
YAY!!!!!

Thanks for the good news. I am always out of the loop on things like this.