View Full Version : Stuck in a rut

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

metalhd4ever
May 23rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
I was wondering if any of you go through this and how you deal with it. I don't really know if I'm "stuck in a rut" but I dread staring at the screen wondering what words to fill it with. I was wondering if you have all dealt with a similar issue and if it stopped you from making progress. Thanks for the feedback.

Rocket Sheep
May 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Do not try and fill the screen... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no screen. ;)

JamesL
May 23rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
I think this tends to happen to most writers. It's a topic that has come up several times before on these forums, and some pretty decent suggestions have been made.

One way to fight it is to just write, to just bash the stuff out. Don't worry about the flow of it or anything, just get it down. If you can't write what you want to, then write about something else - write about an apple for five minutes, write about anything at all. Hopefully this will get your juices flowing and you can then focus on the task at hand.

AgentRustyBones
May 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Writer's block.

It is very common.

It is normally temporary, but can last for months or years.

And everybody will have different suggestions as to how to face it down.

I usually deal with it by not even trying to write for a few days, think about something else and let my creative juices regenerate on their own. However, if you stay away too long, it is very easy to lose all momentum and give up on a project prematurely.

Another way I have dealt with it is to sit down anyway and try attacking the problem, character, plot element from a different perspective. I find that I have internal barriers that often prevent me from going in certain direction that I am not aware of until I try a different angle and find a better solution.

Take in everyone's suggestions and try some out when hit this wall...maybe one will work for you.

Doug
aka Agent Rusty Bones

James Carmack
May 23rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
I have a lot of methods for dealing with writer's block and I employ them in varying degrees.

Sometimes I just stop writing for a while and do something else, say, pick up an RPG out of my massive backlog and beat it. While not working on the project itself, I might piddle around with another project or build up my peripheral materials (timelines, encyclopediae, etc). Sometimes I've got an idea on the dialog I want to use for the scene but I don't want to get bogged down putting in the narrative, so I just knock out the dialog and then go back and add all the dialog tags, stage direction, what have you. If I'm not even sure about how I want to play the dialog and don't flee to something else, I'll write out different versions and then pick the one that fits best. (While going through KoG3, there was this one scene I wrote five different versions of, only to wind up using something else.)

Rusty has the best suggestion. Listen to what other people do and then give it a whirl. The only one who can know what works best for you is you and that knowledge tends to come through trial and error.

Rocket Sheep
May 24th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Writer's block.

It is very common.

You gave it a name. You gave it an excuse! Now, it is real!

Gah! :mad:

AgentRustyBones
May 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
You gave it a name. You gave it an excuse! Now, it is real!

Gah! :mad:

Ach...It is better to name it and face it than to let it lie hidden in shadow, stealthily stealing away your energy and drive to write.

See it for what it is!

Doug
aka Agent Rusty Bones

James Carmack
May 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM
We must name the evil if we want to defeat it. Ain't you never read Harry Potter? (I haven't, but I hear that's one of the themes. A fair one for this day and age.)

KatG
May 25th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I was wondering if any of you go through this and how you deal with it. I don't really know if I'm "stuck in a rut" but I dread staring at the screen wondering what words to fill it with. I was wondering if you have all dealt with a similar issue and if it stopped you from making progress. Thanks for the feedback.

I would urge you to check out the archived threads on writers block, as we've had some good ones with lots of people offering great suggestions. In the meantime, write me a story and put it up in the community stories section, then put a link to it here. :) Seriously, any story, I'm not picky.

BrianC
May 25th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Doodle.

One of the most famous opening lines in literature was first doodled in the margins of an exam paper.

When I want to write but have no clear idea what to write, I doodle. Here's two of the opening lines that I've come up with:

There was something quite peculiar about the girl.

And so Ericsson became hopelessly lost in the woods.

Both of these lines led to either a novel (Ghost, Goblin, Ghoul, Witch) or a short story (The Players).

I also use excerpts or quotes from literature to inspire stories. "Boxes for the poor" became an eponymous story. Right now I'm trying to figure out a story from "nothing like the sun." (So far I have: "He said that I was nothing like the sun . . . I begged to differ.")

That's how I deal with writer's block. Or I just read something, always something to read. (On that note, Holbrook, I'm going to get to Hand of Glory this weekend).