View Full Version : At World's End

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

James Carmack
May 24th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I know everyone's going to want to talk about PotC3, so I might as well start the thread for it.

I saw it last night during a special showing. I'll simply say that I liked it. Once more people have seen it, I might expand on that.

At least you won't have to hear Bruce Willis' mangled Japanese as he encourages all the kiddos to watch Die Hard 4 during the trailers. ^_^;

Monty Mike
May 25th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I watched it a couple nights ago during a special showing as well. Thought it was ok. The first two were better. I'll maybe talk more when the rest of us have seen it. :)

Ouroboros
May 25th, 2007, 05:42 AM
I saw this last night.

Rather bizarrely, the girl I was seeing it with neglected to mention that she hadn't seen the first two movies. I found out about two-thirds of the way through that she was completely baffled and had absolutely no idea what was going on. Seeing as the movie is about two and a half hours I have to give her bonus points for iron patience.

Barring an almost 'Return of the King' style overly-long ending, I felt this was actually a much stronger movie than the second one, which felt like a long pastiche of stunts and Disney capers designed expressly to appeal to kids. The third is heavier on plot and double-crosses, with crew swapping blindingly fast between the East India Tea Company and the Brethren. Turn your back and Will Turner will probably have cunningly defected to the bad guys... Only he hasn't really... Etc

The undoubted high point of the movie is the appearance of a certain Rock God.

"The code is the law..."

Madness
May 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I saw At World's End last night, as well during a special showing.

All I can say is it is as large scale and epic as any Pirate fan can hope; extremely ridiculous.

My only two criticisms are the 2D ship "down is up" scene, too disney, though everything involved in that scene aside was awesome, and the blatant portrayal of Sparrow's insanity. Depp coulda done it on his own... without himself lol.

Gildor
May 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
The undoubted high point of the movie is the appearance of a certain Rock God.

The one reason I want to see this is for Keef, and Keef alone ...

Bless his little boots!

Holbrook
May 31st, 2007, 01:36 AM
Plot a little too tangled for its own good in the middle. Stunts good. Most of the comic moments hit the mark. Bloom not so wooden as normal. (maybe he is maturing as an actor) All in all there are worse ways to spend a Wednesday evening.

Gildor
May 31st, 2007, 08:49 AM
Urrrgh, it was something like 3 hrs long, very very overlong.

That being said, I enjoyed it, some very comical moments, not least from Knightley's and Bloom's oh so hammy lovey dovey moments, HaHaHa, very ridiculous.

The funniest for me was the arguments between Barbossa and Jack

'What are YOU doing?'
'What ARE you doing?'
'What are YOU doing?'
'What ARE you doing?'

:D

The Keef part was also Genius.

And oh yeh, do NOT stay behind for the extra scene it's in no way worth it.

CiciTj
May 31st, 2007, 12:54 PM
I loved it...the naffness, the turns, the twists, everything. I didn't see the scene after the credits so if someone could message me and tell me what happens???

I dont think everyone will like it but I did:D

Did the Calypso scene remind anyone else of Clash of the Titans?

Celebrišn
May 31st, 2007, 02:42 PM
None of my friends wanted to stay for the scene at the end. Could someone tell me what it was please?

In opposition to Madness I quite liked the "up is down" scene.

Did anyone else get the impression that there might be a 4th? Dunno, just Jack going to look for the Fountain of Youth/Water of Life whatever seemed a bit like a... he'll be back moment.

Gildor
May 31st, 2007, 03:40 PM
Read below for the details of the extra scene, it's not really spoilerish, just thought i'd do it anyway

The extra bit at the end of the film was a 'Ten Years later' scene where Elizabeth Swann is gazing out to sea with a child (Who I presumed is her and Will's son), who's also singing that Yo Ho Ho song that the hanging pirates were singing at the start, I think. And they wait for a bit, the sun sets, and you see a Green flash set of against Swann's face.

I reckon there could be a fourth, you get that implication, although in that scene with the map and the fountain of youth the dotted line and 'x' marks the spot appeared to be leading directly to disneyland in Florida ....

HAH!