PDA

View Full Version : Naming issues

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

makoa
May 25th, 2007, 03:05 PM
I always seem to have trouble naming things be it places, people or things.

I either can't think of the right name for whatever it is i'm trying to name or i'm never sure if it would sound right.

So any tips or ideas on how to get around this little issue?

metalhd4ever
May 25th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I honestly think my way of coming up with names is possibly among the oddest or dare I say dumbest ways ever lol. I randomly pick a letter and write it down and then fill in more letters till I come up with something I like. Sometimes I'll start with two or three letters so I end up with two or three names to choose from. When I do that (if I like the ones I didn't pick) I save the them to name something or someone else. Odd, I know but it has worked for me :)

BlueAngel
May 25th, 2007, 04:54 PM
The best way for me has been looking through all the different names in different languages. You can find tons of lists online on many languages/cultures.
Another way is strangely enough, some of the names you'll see on different products. Pyrex for example, can be used as such, just add a few changes; pyrexia, pyrexian, phyrex or phyrexia, etc. etc. Those could even be used to name regions/worlds and the races native to them.

There is even a point at which you can search for meaning in the names you choose to have an underlying symbolism for a character. Don't overlook the possible importance of using symbolism that could be used in a story to give more heightened meaning.~Angela

MrBF1V3
May 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM
There are a number of "names" sites. They might be helpful. I sometimes take ordinary names and make alterations. In my experience, short and easier to pronounce is best. Joieillo almost killed me.:)

B5

James Carmack
May 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I second (third?) the recommendation to go to some name sight. As a linguist, etymology is one of my interests. Either go for something that sounds good or has a meaning you like, then tweak it any way you see fit.

My advice is to make it something distinctive yet easy to remember. I remember calling out one of the posters here for naming his charas in a way that resembled random character strings. Don't do that.

If you're really slick, learn what the different root elements mean and make new combinations, even mixing and matching across languages. For example, take the Greek "phil-" ("love") and the Teutonic "-ric" ("ruler") to make Philric ("love ruler", "beloved ruler", "lover of rule").

makoa
May 26th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions i may have to try some of them for my story.

And that random one where you pick letters thing has been done before in real life so....it must work lol.

James Carmack
May 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Happening and working are two different things, my dear. Remember that.