PDA

View Full Version : WTF is with the Dynasty Warrior games?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj
May 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM
I've noticed something really strange about the Dynasty Warrior video game series. I rented the second Dynasy Warriors game first and thought it was great, then I rented the third one and found it exactly the same in storyline as the second, and then rented the fourth one and found it was exactly the same in storyline as the third and second. What is with this?!! It always starts out with the Yellow Turan Rebellion and goes on from there in the same direction, only with new features? It's like each game is a special edition of the last one. WHY?!

James Carmack
May 31st, 2007, 08:56 PM
Koei does it because they can. Anybody with even the slightest exposure to the franchise knows each one will be the same as the one before it, but apparently enough people keep on buying 'em to warrant another rehash.

As the series focuses only on the events of the Sangokushi, there really isn't much wiggle room. And since the sales remain high, there's not much incentive to branch out to other points in the timeline. Koei does the same thing in a lot of its series. Take Nobunaga's Ambition, for example. Twelve ways to relive Nobunaga's rise and fall. Whee.

It's not too terribly different from the glut of WWII shooters in the States. There's a perceived clarity with that point in history that makes it easier to handle than, say, Vietnam. And, as with Koei's titles, the sales justify the decision to tread down the same path over and over again. It's a little thing we call business. Good, bad or ugly, it is what it is.

Monty Mike
June 1st, 2007, 03:34 AM
You can always try Samurai Warriors. :D

gollumbells
June 1st, 2007, 05:26 AM
The game gets better with each release. the gameplay is way better in 5, but for 1player mode 4 is by far the best game.

James Carmack
June 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
You are, of course, talking about relatively minor tweaks, hardly enough to justify a sequel, but what do I know? The sales figures show Koei can get away with it, so I'm quite content to let them. Might as well milk the cow till she's shriveled up into jerky, right?

saintjon
June 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Personally, since Koei seem to be the only ones interested in making a game of that particular style I wish they'd make a european variant, or better yet A Song of Ice and Fire, and have more of an emphasis on mounted combat (hard to get anything done on a horse except move fast in DW)

Bond
June 5th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Wasn't there a game before of a similar variety called Kessen or was it Cossacks? I presume they abandoned it because it wasn't as popular. The biggest buyers of the series I presume are Japanese. Anyway one can play Europa Universalis or one of the European based Total War series Medieval or Rome for something similar although they aren't for console.

saintjon
June 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Well those don't really put you as one guy in the middle of a large scale warfare though.

Kessen I think was kind of a cinematic tactical sort of game, I played it for about 10 minutes on a mission my buddy couldn't beat and really barely figured the interface out so I can barely comment on that one.

Bond
June 6th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Not Koei, at least I don't think so, but I remember long ago an arcade game where you played as one of King Arthur's knights like Lancelot or Percival and basically went around smashing everything. It was called Knight of the Round maybe? I remember it had its Chinese Romance of the Three Kingdoms equivalent too with GuanYu and Zhang Fei doing the same thing.

saintjon
June 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah, Knights of the Round, I played that on an emulator, it was pretty dated by the time I got to it though lol.