PDA

View Full Version : Have You Read This One?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Hereford Eye
June 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Up in the resource thread, I posted the link to a more detailed version of this outline of The Hero's Journey.

A. Departure
1. The Call to Adventure
2. Refusal of the Call
3. Supernatural Aid
4. The Crossing of the First Threshold
5. The Belly of the Whale
B. Inititation
1. The Road of Trials
2. The Meeting with the Goddess
3. Woman as the Temptress
4. Atonement with the Father
5. Apotheosis
6. The Ultimate Boon
C. Return
1. Refusal of the Return
2. The Magic Flight
3. Rescue from Without
4. The Crossing of the Return Threshold
5. Master of the Two Worlds
6. Freedom to Live

My first question, what happens if it is the heroine's journey? My second question is, how many books that you've read can you think of that follow this outline to a tee?

James Carmack
June 4th, 2007, 07:19 PM
You could largely use the same formula for a heroine. B4 would probably swap out "Father" with "Mother". While B3 could simply embody temptation in the form of a man, it would also work to preserve the original "Woman as the Temptress". Not so much in the literal form, though that is entirely possible. I mean more figuratively. "Woman" as in concept of woman. Chances are, our female is defying standard gender roles, yes? If so, when the pressure gets cranked up, there'll be the lure to surrender, to conform to expectations. Why wield a sword when you can be raising a family? Why fight tooth and nail in a man's world when womanly happiness is waiting for you? Overcoming that (say, perhaps, by a sense of duty regarding the task at hand) would be a major milestone in the heroine's development.

However, in practice, the formula for The Heroine's Journey may be quite different. It's not something I've researched, so I don't know for certain.