PDA

View Full Version : Austin Grossman's "Soon I Will Be Invincible"

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

cervantor
June 4th, 2007, 11:19 AM
So, anyone here heard of “Soon I Will Be Invincible” by Austin Grossman? I just reviewed it HERE (http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2007/06/official-soon-i-will-be-invincible.html). Basically, it’s a comic book story told in a novel format with a satirical bent on superheroes and supervillains. All of the characters and plot devices are basically parodies of actual comic book characters and storylines, the most recognizable being the JLA, specifically Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman. There are plenty of other references as well. For instance, storywise I saw shades of Troy Hickman’s “Common Grounds”, DC’s “Identity Crisis” crossover series by Brad Meltzer, “Supreme Power” by J. Michael Straczynski , The Chronicles of Narnia, etc. Overall, the book had some flaws, which is understandable since the author is a first-timer, but I really enjoyed the novel and I’m interested to see what other people will think of it, both comic book lovers and the more casual reader…

Robert

miracleman
February 6th, 2008, 08:46 PM
im reading it right now actually, well, not right this second. youre right it is an easy read, but its interesting, i havent seen someone attempt to do a superhero novel before, someone other than DC and Marvel i mean.
is it wrong that im rooting for doctor impossible?

mirage2101
May 25th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I read it a while ago, when my girlfriend saw it lying on the table my brother explained it as "a spiderman book" after looking at the cover.
Avengers would've been closer but hey..

Anyway it's a nice read, it's got a bit more depth looking into the personality and reasoning of why heroes and villains do what they do then a normal comic.

That being said i think there's a lot more possible with this, a lot of potential left.

D_A
August 14th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I found this to be a fun read and got through quite quickly. The characters were interesting, well thought out and the plot was thorough and tied up nicely.

My only hitch with the book was that it was sometimes difficult to distinguish the narrative "voice" between Fatale and Dr. Impossible.

I would definitely recommend this book for anyone to read as an interesting take on the superhero genre. I would also love to see it turned into a movie - my take on it would be as a duology, with Dr. Impossible's first and Fatale's second, filmed all at once to ensure consistency.