PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Old Story

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Daniel A.
June 6th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Hello, this is my first post here, and I hope that all of you science fiction experts can help me with a problem. In one of my classes last year, the professor mentioned a science fiction story, whose title and author he didn't remember. He described the premise of the story a bit, and I realized I had read it as well, but I also didn't know the title nor the author. It was a short story, I read it in an anthology, I'm not sure of the date [probably between 1955 and 1980, but that doesn't help much]. The story is about a man who wakes up and realizes he is an inch from the ceiling. He then likens flying and falling dreams to dreams about alarm clocks, which seem to take hours but actually are constituted in the minute the alarm goes off. He assumes that this is the same as falling dreams, which happen when a levitating sleeper awakens suddenly and falls to the bed. I don't remember where the story goes from there, I believe the man developes his skill at levitation so that it can be used for practical travel but I'm not sure. Anyway, if anyone has an idea of the story or the author both I and my professor would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Daniel

tdeanatoz@yahoo
June 6th, 2007, 12:02 PM
That sounds a lot like the following story, although there are enough differences that I think it might be something else:

Common Time, James Blish, (ss) Science Fiction Quarterly Aug. 1953