PDA

View Full Version : Anime' these days...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

ryanman
June 8th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Does anyone else think Japanese animation is played out? Everywhere I look on TV, I see all these shows from Japan that look identical. I am so sick of these cartoons.

strikeone
June 8th, 2007, 03:30 AM
Then donít watch them.

saintjon
June 8th, 2007, 07:16 PM
The best ones usually look different, or yeah, don't watch the damn things.

Personally I find what is good on tv is damn near nothing, so it would't be a big loss to just shut the tube off.

ArthurFrayn
June 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM
It's all about what we can give to others...

Does anyone else think Japanese animation is played out? Everywhere I look on TV, I see all these shows from Japan that look identical. I am so sick of these cartoons.

Does anyone hate Tuesday? It's always the same. I hate that day...

James Carmack
June 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM
It's not just Tuesday either. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday... An unending chain of monotony, week after week!

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are cool. I never get tired of 'em. ^_^

Miriamele
June 9th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Aw, you guys...that was Ryan's first post, and now you've scared him off...:rolleyes:

saintjon
June 9th, 2007, 10:00 AM
What? I offerd an honest opinion.

P.S. why does every answer have to be an astounding insight?

James Carmack
June 9th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Because in a thousand years, posterity will uncover the archives of this forum and say, "Gee, that's the best saintjon could come up with?" And we wouldn't want that, now would we? ^_^

I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of the move to digital inking back in the late 90s. The colors just seem off to me, like there's something garish to 'em that didn't exist back in the good ol' days. Admittedly, your run of the mill show looks better than its equivalent from, say, fifteen, twenty years ago, but lacks something you'd find in an old OAV that had a decent budget. Maybe it has to do with the piece becoming more machine now than man, twisted and evil. (I couldn't resist. ^_^; )

There's still plenty of good stuff coming out. Being out in the boondocks, I don't get to see but a fraction of what's out there, but I'm enjoying Kekkaishi, a "standard fare" title, just as much as a more "out there" piece like Den'nou Coil (which is kinda like crossing Tonari no Totoro with the Animatrix sketch "Beyond"). And Shin-chan never gets old. ^_^ (Although I can't wait for AKB48 to get kicked off so we can get the old OP back.)

Miriamele
June 9th, 2007, 10:34 AM
What? I offerd an honest opinion.

Sorry Jon, I wasn't talking about you! :)

Maybe it has to do with the piece becoming more machine now than man, twisted and evil. (I couldn't resist. ^_^; )

LOL...oh man, my husband finds a way to put that line into conversation at least once per day...along with half a dozen other SW lines...I guess it's a guy thing. :rolleyes:

I agree with you though, I really dislike animation that looks like it's been spruced up on a computer, and I can't stand actual computer animation, it just looks crappy and lifeless to me. Garish is a good word to use, the colours are too bright and look fake, and the movements are too slow.

I've noticed the same thing with comic books these days. Now that all the colouring is done with Photoshop it looks half-ass to me. Even if the original pencil drawing is well done, it ruins it to fill it in with perfectly-blended Photoshop colours. It's too perfect.

But, that's the wave of the future I guess. Old folks like me will just have to get used to it. :D

redhead
June 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM
ryanman said:

on american tv, yeah, they are all starting to look the same. but i blame the american tv stations, who just buy junk. adult swim hasn't had a decent anime line-up in a while. Trinity Blood was a lot of fun, and Shin-chan is just wrongly hilarious, but their current line up is pretty awful.

i've also noticed that yes, lots of anime does follow the same visual style (super demored people, school girls with saucer plate eyes, super-girls, etc), but a lot of it is about the story, the relationships, the drama. a lot of anime artists arne't about "looking different", because they need to fit into a certain style genre, but they want their characters, plot-lines, and relationship drama to be different.

the new stuff doesn't get here for a few years, and i think a lot of it is considered too weird for american audiences.

i get decent anime via netflix - fullmetal alchemist, Karas, the new Paprika which isn't on DVD yet, Tsubasa. . . and i did invest in an outdated Miyazaki library (has everything but Howl's moving castle).

ok, maybe that was more info than you were looking for. Bottom line is that american tv is the worst place to find good anime.