View Full Version : Encyclopedia Creator Program

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

RyanIVR
June 8th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know if there is a program out there that will allow you to create articles and then sort them like an encyclopedia?

I'm in the middle of universe creation, and just have a bunch of text files with all of my info. I could get a 3-ring binder and some A-Z tabs, but that could be a waste of paper and ink if I could get some kind of program that could do the same thing.

An online site where you could host your own would also work.

Anyone got any ideas?

Prunephoenix
June 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Why not just create a file for the story, with sub-files - people, places, languages, whatever. Everything within each file would automatically be in alphabetical order.

RyanIVR
June 8th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I guess something that would be really cool would be to able to hyperlink pages as well. A wiki is cool but then I lose the Encylopedia feel.

Arinth
June 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
yeah that kind of thing would be awesome. When you have a world with lots of countries/ traditions/ history/government/military/characters it is really hard to keep track off

RyanIVR
June 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM
If there was some kind of wiki site that you could also sort all of your articles by category and alphabetically I would sign up in a heartbeat. It's times like these where I wish I was a programmer and could just make my own programs! :D

James Carmack
June 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
How does a wiki lose "that encyclopedia feel"? I'm sure all those zealous editors at Wikipedia would cry a river if they heard you say that. (Not that they couldn't use it now and again. ^o^ )

Anyway, a wiki sounds like a pretty good option. You could always code your stuff into HTML so you can get all the linking and interconnection you're after. Of course, there is always the "Find" option in your word processor. I have several encyclopediae and other peripheral works for my stories, all either RTF or TXT documents or Excel spreadsheets (which I prefer to use of Access for making databases).

You could always poke around this wide wonderful web for options. You might be surprised to find who's willing to cater to your needs.

RyanIVR
June 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM
How does a wiki lose "that encyclopedia feel"? I'm sure all those zealous editors at Wikipedia would cry a river if they heard you say that. (Not that they couldn't use it now and again. ^o^ )

Anyway, a wiki sounds like a pretty good option. You could always code your stuff into HTML so you can get all the linking and interconnection you're after. Of course, there is always the "Find" option in your word processor. I have several encyclopediae and other peripheral works for my stories, all either RTF or TXT documents or Excel spreadsheets (which I prefer to use of Access for making databases).

You could always poke around this wide wonderful web for options. You might be surprised to find who's willing to cater to your needs.

I've found a few sites that would work in certain ways, but then fall short in others. I've also found a few programs that work in certain ways, but fall short in others.

I've checked out Pbwiki.com, which has worked somewhat well but the interface is kind of clunky, and then wetpaint.com is easier, but you lose some of the functionality.

The program I've been using the most is Treepad, which has worked well, but then you can't hyperlink to other pages within the program.

My ideal program would be this: A program where you could write articles, title them, and have them all appear under headings of A,B,C, etc., and then being able to link between the articles within the program.

RyanIVR
June 9th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Using excel seems like a good idea, as I'm pretty knowledgeable of it. How do you personally use it to help you keep articles/notes/etc?

RyanIVR
June 9th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I apologize for my wiki bashing. I now realize that it's only because I don't have experience using it. :o

James Carmack
June 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM
You can think what you want of wikis. I have no vested interest in what people think of them. Their functionality is hard to deny, though. A well-constructed wiki would do wonders for you, but that "well-constructed" bit is the real trick. I don't have any experience making wikis, though, just using 'em. (Might be something worth considering, though.)

I happen to use Excel for making databases. You say, "Access is for databases. Excel is for spreadsheets." Yeah, I know, but like I said, I prefer using Excel. For all my stories, I've got a character database. All the little details like height, weight, eye color, hair color, special abilities, etc. I also run numerous statistics like battlefield casualties, census results, vehicle specs, and so on.

However, Excel can be used to index your documents. Say, for instance, you make a worksheet for every letter of the alphabet (getting your tabs that way). You can then make hyperlinks to the appropriate documents. Those links can be to any file type if you're just wanting to open the file itself. If you're wanting to go to a particular place in a document, you'd have to code it (the document) in HTML and ID those specific sections. It's not that hard if that's the tack you want to take.