PDA

View Full Version : MUDs - Text Based MMORPGs

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zephen_Descarte
June 13th, 2007, 04:19 AM
This being sffworld, I'm going to assume a lot of us are natural readers, and ask if any of you have played MUDs before?

They're like text based MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, but they usually have indepth stories and allow you to roleplay a character, or beat down mythical monsters yourself.

I actually run a MUD, and I've always wondered how they appeal to fervent book readers. Just thought I'd ask you guys, or get some opinions on what you might look for in a MUD as a fantasy reader.

suupaabaka
June 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I used to play three of them.

One was a Shadowrun MUD, called Alternate Worlds. It was rather detailed for a MUD, with a myriad of abilities, statistics and items.

The other two were Star Trek MUSHes, TrekMUSH: Among the Stars and Star Trek: Legacy. They were pretty fun as they included a system where a bunch of people could crew a starship and launch on patrols, space battles etc. Legacy also had a whole bunch of coded systems such as "working" phasers, tricorders, holorooms etc.

It was a lot of fun, but I gave up all forms of gaming for good after a period of addiction. Books are much more fun :D

admiral max
July 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I tried to play a MUD called wormhole but I got confused with how it works.

Lohengrin
August 1st, 2007, 07:35 AM
I played plenty of MUD's during my college days (late 90's), so many that I can hardly remember them all. The one I played the most was Terris - I was actually one of the original members of the Knight's Guild in that game, and one of the first legends (level 35). Ah, the good old days

Loh

Faerial
October 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Coming in a bit late to the topic, but I'm new here :)

My husband and I met playing on a MUD and actually for a time had our own. We both did all the writing and had someone who programmed it for us. It was an enormous amount of work, but a great outlet for creativity.

We found World of Warcraft about a year ago and realized that this is what a MUD would be without all the text.

There are still people out there who MUD, but I think a lot of focus today is on the speed, action, and having the environment handed to you without having to think too much.

I can't imagine ever mudding again now that I can "step into" the world and don't have to try to ignore someone's typos or bad grammar.