PDA

View Full Version : Best Game of Each Genre? Novel/Movie Adaptation

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

foehammer
June 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM
So...time for a little research. I wanna know what everyone's favorite game is for each genre. And i obviously didn't list all the genres. Just my favorite. Feel free to list your own.

My picks...

Rpg: The Elder Scrolls [morrowind and oblivion] (this game has great online potential. it would kick world of warcraft's @$$. bethesda softworks would be wise to make the next one in 2009 online)

First Person Shooter: tie between the Halo series and the Ghost Recon series (live is what gaming is all about. the camaraderie, the annoying little kids, the bros, the action, the teamwork...fun fun)

Platform/Action/Fighting?: The Prince of Persia series (well...wutever genre it is, it's my favorite)

Racing: again a tie, but this time a three way, the Motogp series, the forza motorsports series, the need for speed series

Sports: Amped 3

MMORPG: World of Warcraft

one last thing....which games do you think would make good books or movies given the right resources, money, and author/director/creator?

my pick... The Elder Scrolls and Halo (yes i know there's halo books.....i've read all of them...fanatic...but they need to finish the dang movie they almost started....or are they working on it now? if anyone knows anything about the halo movie let me know. it know the movie almost went into production back in 2006...i think...fill me in)

Power to the J
June 21st, 2007, 11:45 AM
my pick... The Elder Scrolls and Halo (yes i know there's halo books.....i've read all of them...fanatic...but they need to finish the dang movie they almost started....or are they working on it now? if anyone knows anything about the halo movie let me know. it know the movie almost went into production back in 2006...i think...fill me in)

The movie has been delayed and it's going to be a long time befor it gets going again. Now for my list:

Fot the best game of each genre I'm just going to do current games, and then at the bottom I'll put in my top 5 all time.

RPG: Final Fantasy XII.{PS2} Really like all of the FF games, and this one is no exception. Honestly, this is the only RPG series I play (all others bore me like hell).

Shooter: Alot of people are going to say Halo, but I like GRAW 2 {XBOX 360} more. The campaign is extremely enjoyable, but the online via XBOX Live kicks the ass of all others if you ask me. That's what gives it the edge.

Fighting: Mortal Kombat: Armageddon.{Wii} I love all Mortal Kombat games, but when I got the oppurtunity to play it with the Wii controller, I went bananas. Great game, especially for long-time fans like me.

Action: F.E.A.R.{PC}. Really fun game, I love the chance to just play a game but also crap my pants out of fear (lol).

Senseless Violence: Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories{PSP}. Gotta love GTA.

Racing: Need for Speed: Carbon{Wii} Love the Wii controller, although I did have to mess around with the control settings to get it to where I was most comfortable.

Sports: Madden.{Wii,Ps2,360}Simply the best.

I don't play MMO games...

For my other lists now:

Top 5 video games based on movies:
5)The GodfatherGood adaption. A little repetitive at times, but nice.
4)Spiderman 2-One and 3 suck, but this one is nice.
3)007: Goldeneye-Good times back on my N64.
2)Lord of the Rings: Return of the King-Only for the co-op.
1)Scarface-Some people are definately going to disagree, but I loved this game. It was great.

Top 5 video games EVER;
5)Resident Evil 4-This game also scared me a little. Awesome game though.
4)Super Mario 64-Gotta love N64.
3)Final Fantasy X-Earlier I said I don't play many RPG's, well it's probably because I compare all of them to this.
2)Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater-Good game, good twists, good everything. I like... I like a lot.
1)Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time-No doubt for me. Hands down, this is the greatest.

Now, last but not least, time to talk about games turned to movies. I have three options:

1)Prince of Persia-Action game with good story elements, it would be easy to convert.
2)Grand Theft Auto-Also pretty good story, but more importantly: wide fanbase. People would see this, myself included.
3)Splinter Cell-This is the best option to me. Great story, great action, great everything. It would make a fantastic movie.

Thanks for the time folks!

Power to the J
June 21st, 2007, 11:46 AM
double post

Fruitonica
June 22nd, 2007, 11:15 PM
Shooter:Half Life, I bought it two years ago when I got this computer and even though its old I still haven't found a game that surpasses the military battles. Best game ever in my humble opinion.

Racing:Trackmania Nations, some of the most outlandish stunts and speed ever seen in a racing game. Its standout point is its multiplayer which has a huge fan base and loads of player created content. Plus its completely free.

Strategy:Hmmm, I don't play many strategy games. Maybe Warcraft 3. Exceptionally well balanced and diverse races but I was never good enough to get into multiplayer which is where the fun is.

RPG:Another genre I haven't played enough of. If it counts then Deus Ex all the way, intensely gripping and sprawling gameplay. If you think Deus Ex is more of a shooting game then I'll have to go all the way back to Golden Sun on my Gameboy Advance.

Platformer:Sonic-can't remember which game it was exactly, but you could control Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. Was 2d gaming at its height and you could access these weird pseudo 3d special stages by jumping into giant rings.

kahnovitch
June 23rd, 2007, 10:33 AM
I play mostly strategy the king of which is Rome Total War, better even that M2TW IMO.

For shooters I like Joint Operations for online COOP action, which is great when used with a good VOIP program.

The original Unreal Tournament was a great online deathmatch splatterfest. Didn't like the 2003/2004/ etc remakes.

RPG's Knights of the Old Replubic was good fun, although the sequel left me a little cold. It had better character personality arcs but the ending was a big anti-climax and felt only half finished.
Diablo 2 was great for getting stuck in and mass slaughter.
FF7+8 were great on the old PSOne.

Not sure what genre covers the Res Evil games, but they were brilliant.

I like 3rd person stuff like Manhunt, Hitman, and anything with a stealth aspect. Tenchu was one of my faves on the PSOne.

Severance (Blade of Darkness) still rates high on my list for a 3rd person hack'n'slash blood fest. Kind of an RPG action adventure arcade game.

Shehzad
June 23rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
RPG: There has never been a better RPG in terms of plotting, character development and dialog than Planescape: Torment. Neverwinter Nights has an insipid single-player campaign, but amazing online content, and is worth a mention for its DM client and ability to have an online D&D campaign and persistent worlds.

Strategy/RTS: In the RTS realm, Starcraft stands head and shoulders above the rest. It set the standard for asymmetrical races and had some of the most memorable characters ever in an RTS: Kerrigan, Tassadar and Raynor.

Strategy/Sim: Many great games here, but the Civilization series is possibly one of the greatest of all time. The best entries, IMHO, were Civilization 2 and Civilization 4. Endless replayability, utterly addictive "one-more-turn" gameplay and immense fun.

FPS: I'm not a big FPS fan, but my favorites in the genre were Doom 1 & 2 for the utterly creepy single-player gameplay. The only game I played online for any degree of time was Unreal Tournament 2004, was fun.

darkkie23
August 8th, 2007, 10:27 PM
i agree with kahn, RTW is probly the best one out there, and better than M2TW.

Lohengrin
August 9th, 2007, 06:16 AM
RPG: Fallout, though Planescape is pretty close. So far, no RPG I have played has been able to top Fallout. I don't have high hopes for Fallout 3 with Bethesda making it, but maybe they will surprise me

RTS: Starcraft - if this game doesn't come out while I am in college, I graduate with a much higher GPA. I don't know how often I was up until 2am playing this on Battlenet when I should have been studying for an exam instead. Company of Heroes is an excellent game also, as well as pretty much anything made by Relic

Turn-based Strategy: Rome: Total War. Although I guess it could be considered RTS with the tactical battles. Creative Assembly has been the best at making historic strategy games since Shogun:Total War and Rome is the apex of all of them.

Favorite old school game: X-Com. Another game that kept me up much later than I ever should have been

Loh

Muess
September 21st, 2007, 11:12 AM
RPG - FFVII / Shining Force II
FPS - Farcry / Goldeneye
Strategy - Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (hands down better then anything else out there)
Sports - Virtua Tennis / Speedball
Platformer - Mario 64 (by a country mile)
Racing - Gran Turismo / Mario Kart 64 / Daytona USA (at the arcade)
Fighting game - Street Fighter 2
MMORPG - Everquest 1
Scrolling shooter (shout out to a bygone era) - 1942 / Defender

Esmenet
December 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I was just thinking..I really have no idea what category this game would fall into...but I think I'll just put it in shooter.

Shooter: Portal. I don't care what people think about Orange Box..it was the best package to come out this year hands down. I really love all the doom games..becuase they are classics. Half Life was great and so is CS and one of my all time favorites: Unreal Tournament
MMORPG: WOW and GW...it's a tie.
Platformer: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Bros 3, SMG (although 64 wins by a landslide)
Fighting: Stree Fighter series..any of them, Mortal Kombat (any of them)
Sports: Mario Tennis (sports games shouldn't even excist)
Racing: Hmm..Mario Kart hands down, and Burnout. NFS is good too
RPG: wow...too many. FFVII and XII, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun

alright I guess I'll go into my top 10 (11 i guess) favorite video games ever
1. Ocarina of Time (hands down the best ever)
2. Okami
3. Shadow of the Collosus
4. Super Mario 64
5. Katamari Damacy
6. Finaly Fantasy VII
7. Finaly Fantasy XII
8. Starfox
9. Psychonauts
10. A Link To the Past
11. Conkurs Bad Fur Day