PDA

View Full Version : a Halo movie?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

foehammer
June 13th, 2007, 04:50 PM
so what's the deal with the halo movie adaptation of the game and books? i heard talk of partnerships when they were starting up. i don't know if it's gone into production stages. i heard they had financial issues. has it been canceled? someone fill me in please.

also, i wanna hear who people think should play the characters.
for example, samuel l jackson as sgt. johnson....hahaha just kidding
you get it
who should play John (you know..the chief..spartan 117)
who should play Cortana
who should play captain keyes if he was in it
im gonna say vin deisel for master chief...his voice would just be perfect...always calm yet scarily confident and all knowing...smooth and cool. the thing is...they can't ever show his face. his voice would maybe make up for that. they cant ruin the tradition. we've never seen john's face in the games. so y now

Wulfa_Jones
June 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM
The film was due to directed by Neill Blomkamp, it'll would have been his first feature (I think). He is a ad director (did the transformer-like car adverts) and has made some pretty cool short sci-fi films - just enter his name in at any video streaming site to see them.

Peter Jackson was due to produce with WETA providing the effects.

A script originally penned by Alex Garland (28 days later and Sunshine) was being reworked.

Fox and Universal agreed to co-finance the film but have pulled out due to the projected cost of the project. The production team, which still includes Peter Jackson, think that when Halo 3 gets it's release the studios interest will re-appear.

Hopefully we will see it sometime... it sounds like it would/could have been a great project - Bungie where supposed to have created a 'Halo bible' a complete history of the Halo universe, something I wish other game developers had done with their IPs (Resident Evil anyone!).

As for casting... it's been a while since I played the games so I can't remeber any characters bar the Master Chief. I'd guess they'd have someone big in the suit with some else voicing the role.

foehammer
June 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM
ahhh. satisfaction. lol. thanks wulfa. tremendously helpful information and you've managed to get my hopes up again.

Wulfa_Jones
June 14th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I think the film is likely to be made... the commerical success of Halo 3 will no doubt decide it to a point.

If the Peter Jackson project doesn't get picked up due to the cost, then it'll be passed along the line until a studio is happy with the cost.

Let's us hope it doesn't go to Uwe Boll!

jimdorey
June 29th, 2007, 08:53 AM
I don't think that Peter Jackson's camp will pick up the Halo movie. In fact I think that New Line will blink first and hire him back for 'The Hobbit' due to immense public pressure. Even if he does not get the Tolkien masterpiece, he still has plenty on his plate: 'The Lovely Bones', 'The Dambusters' and a 3D version of 'Tintin' working with Spielberg and a yet to be named third director. Yes, Peter has publicly said that with the advent of the new Halo release on XBox360 coming, that should pick up interest in the movie side of things, but that does not mean he has the time or the inclination to do it. Food for thought.

Wulfa_Jones
July 11th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Neill Blomkamp and Weta have made a live action trailer/advert for Halo 3:

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=ethreeblowout

It's the second link - "Arms Race", the first link being a game footage trailer. You have to enter your DOB as it's not yet been rated.

Looks ok, don't think Weta put their heart and soul into the effects but it gives a good idea about how the movie would look.

jimdorey
July 11th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Of course Weta does not equate Peter Jackson, just that perhaps he is going to get a piece of the CGI action for Halo...