PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings Online

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Miriamele
June 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I am a busy woman and I don't really have time for games. I cut myself off from MMORPG's a few years ago because they're too time consuming (I used to play Ultima, and then Ragnarok).

However...Lord of the Rings Online is out now, and it seems interesting. According to the screen shots the scenery looks beautiful. I especially like the buildings around the Shire and I think it might be really fun to play a hobbit character.

So I was just wondering, is anyone playing LOTRO, and what do you think? Is it worth playing? It's still pretty new--would it maybe be better to wait until the kinks are ironed out?

I'm curious to hear people's opinions.

Erfael
June 14th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Hi Miri,

I've been playing since back in January in one of the beta phases, which puts me at about six months. While I play a lot of MMOs, I tend to not play them for long. I don't play heavily, but most of them still tend to burn me out within a couple of months. This one hasn't seemed to have done so.

As far as waiting for kinks to be ironed out, this game has probably had the cleanest, most problem-free launch of any online title ever. There have been no showstopping bugs, and any minor ones are extremely so.

The game is gorgeous, even more so in motion than in the shots.

The best thing this has going for it, though, isn't often talked about in the PR from what I've seen. Story, story, story. It's got a storyline that's equal to or better than many single-player games out there. I'm not just talking about the LOTR story. The storyline of the game parallels the journey of the fellowship (thus far through to Rivendell). It's put together really well, and it's been quite interesting so far.

I heartily recommend it for people looking for more story than your average MMO. (((Though I'd hate to get someone readdicted... :( I fought that battle myself a number of years ago.)))

If you do decide to give it a go, Landroval has been designated the unofficial RP server and we have a pretty good community going. Feel free to look for Drachmar in game.

Miriamele
June 14th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Good story sounds great! Lack of story is what makes most online games get boring after a while.

Hmm. I want to try it, and yet I don't...must...be...strong...:o :D

Erfael
June 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Let me know. I'm sure they gave me a buddy key. I'll have a look around if you want.

Banger
June 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM
How do they integrate the story into the game? From my Ultima Online days, I recall their story lines just being new monster spawns and new loot for the 24/7 players to camp and farm.

Oh, and if you get a second buddy key... :D

James Carmack
June 14th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I'm not a fan of MMOs, but I have a friend who strongly recommends it. I reckon you won't be disappointed if you get it. The real question is whether or not you want to commit the sort of time the genre demands. It's all up to you.

Lohengrin
August 1st, 2007, 07:20 AM
I have been playing World of Warcraft since its launch in November 2004, though I did take about 6 months off in 2005. I started on Argent Dawn and then rerolled on Feathermoon, both RP servers. I have considered playing LotR on-line, but I tend to shy away from games that have a well defined history, as told in a novel or movie. After the horror of Star Wars Galaxies, where you had hundreds of Jedi running around in what was supposed to be the time-frame between Ep IV and Ep V, I just don't think I could take seeing another MMORPG ruin another of my favorite fantasy worlds.

I might give Warhammer a try when it comes out ... I would love to see a Fallout Online or a Knights of the Old Republic Online

Any WoW'ers on Feathermoon, feel free to look up Lohengrin (character name is the same as my handle)

Loh