View Full Version : best fantasy/scifi/adventure movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

foehammer
June 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]what fantasy/scifi/adventure movies would you rank in the top 10 of the genre?:confused:

Wulfa_Jones
June 14th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Well it's a bit of a wide range....

Well I'd say Star Wars would clearly be in the top 10, as would Lord of the Rings.

foehammer
June 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Oh most definitely. Star Wars and Lord of the Rings...And I'm gonna throw in there the Indiana Jones series (not sure if that fits the genre), the Alien series, The Princess Bride, and the Star Trek movies. Come to think of it though, there just really is nothing out there like star wars and lord of the rings. Eragon had great potential but it didn't fall in the right hands. I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie. I just think it could have been Star Wars/Lord of the Rings good.

Wulfa_Jones
June 15th, 2007, 04:03 AM
I'd say some of the Star Trek films are pretty good, but the majority aren't - maybe Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home and First Contact.

jimdorey
June 29th, 2007, 08:30 AM
I am assuming (as the rest of you are?) that the question is asking about movies with sequels - well, here are mine:

1. LOTR Movies (by a very wide margin)
2. Star Wars Movies
3. Alien Movies
4. The Matrix Movies
5. Star Trek Movies
6. Terminator Movies
7. Jurassic Park Movies
8. Back To The Future Movies
9. Highlander Movies
10. Conan Movies

Stand alone movies would be a completely different list:

1. LOTR: The Return Of The King
2. LOTR: The Fellowship Of The Ring
3. Star Wars
4. LOTR: The Two Towers
5. The Matrix
6. Aliens
8. Alien
9. Terminator II: Judgment Day
10. Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan

Shehzad
July 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Err.. plenty of awesome SF movies out there that haven't been mentioned yet: Blade Runner, Gattaca, Children of Men. Minority Report isn't bad, and there are the classics: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Planet of the Apes. I would echo the Star Wars movies, especially The Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope, as well as the first two Alien movies. the first Matrix was great.

Amongst fantasy, the pickings are slimmer. The Lord of the Rings trilogy stands head and shoulders above the rest, but the first Conan bears mentioning, as does The Princess Bride.

jimdorey
July 4th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I seriously considered Blade Runner but could not justify putting it into my top 10. It was hard not to include Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi as well, but ample respect has been given to the original Star Wars.

Want I really want is for Jackson to helm 'The Hobbit' and take it to the number one spot.

Of course when 'Avatar' comes out in 2009, I expect that to shoot WAY up in the top 3. James Cameron is due and with a $200m budget and a digital, 3D 66% CGI movie, he WILL deliver an awesome spectacle to be sure.

Julusnc
July 8th, 2007, 08:52 PM
1.Star Wars (all movies)
2.Alien (all movies)
3.Blade Runner
4.Lord of the Rings (all movies)
5.Aliens (all movies)
6.Planet of the Apes (all movies)
7.Star Trek (all television and movies)
8.Terminator (all movies and now tv series)
9.Frankenstein (all movies and television)
10.Dracula (all tv and movie series featuring vampires)

U-Borat
July 9th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick deserve a mention too.

CiciTj
August 3rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Ok I am just trowing these out they are not in order!

1. The Fifth Element
2. Aeon Flux
3. Pirates of the Caribben Movies
4. Dark City.
5. Bram Stokers Dracula
6. Hogfather
7. Labyrinth
8. Mirrormask
9. Peter Pan (the new one with Jason Isaacs)
10. The Harry Potter Movies
11. Legend
12. The Company of Wolves
13. The Mists of Avalon
14. Earthsea (not if you want it like the book but as a film seprate from the book it is good, I watched it before reading the series)
15. Queen of the Damned
16. The Studio Ghibli Fantasy Films
17. Underworld
18. The Lost Boys (feel free to openly mock me, everyone else does) :cool: