PDA

View Full Version : Another forgotten title/author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

spacekase
June 22nd, 2007, 12:28 AM
I suppose there scads of these types of threads here :)

The book I am trying to remember I read in the eighties and was fairly obscure and was written by someone I have never heard of anywhere else. Set several hundred years after some apocalypse, all the action takes place on the east coast of the former U.S.

There are domed cities where people with all the technology seal themselves off completely from the outside world. They have super enhanced lifespans and are so bored they research stuff because they have already tried everything else.

The people living outside the cities live in tribes and have some sort of psychic communion with nature and each other. They are somewhat innocent and have no technology. I turns out that a village of mean religious fundies wants to kill them off with plague spread by rats. Several of the tribe people visit the fundies for some reason which leads to a confrontation, a scary night locked in a room while swarms of starving rats swarm all around, the discovery of the plot, and the eventual destruction of the bad guys.

Does this ring any bells?

hawkwind
June 22nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Could be the Amtrak Wars series by Patrick Tilley?

I believe there are 6 books in the series and am not sure if it was ever finished.

Andols
June 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
i think hawkwind is right. i read the first 2 boosk of that series and that sounds about accurate to me.

spacekase
June 22nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Unfortunately that wasn't it. I believe the book was a one off deal with no sequels. The action all took place on the northern half of the east coast, near New York and DC as I recall.

Thanks for the tip about a new book though :D

spacekase
December 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Finally found it:

Masters Of Solitude
by Marvin Kaye and Parke Godwin

lolrus
December 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Sounds very similar to "Shadow Hunter" by Will Baker so you might like that too.