View Full Version : Words per day?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

hippokrene
June 26th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I've read it's good to have a writing regimen of a certain number words, or pages, a day.

How many word/pages is a good start?
Does anyone else do this?

James Carmack
June 26th, 2007, 08:54 PM
5K before each meal. If you don't write, you don't eat. How's that for a regimen?

hippokrene
June 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Funny.

Sadly, that sounds more like a weight loss regimen than a writing one.

choppy
June 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM
During National Novel Writing Month I'm pretty consistent at keeping the 1667 words per day pace. But this is definately much faster than my off season.

I don't set a target for myself. Generally, though, I'd say I average out around 500 - 1000 words per day.

Severn
June 26th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I'm about to start this myself. I've just started writing again after a long period of...non-writing. In order to prevent falling back into that pattern/place again, I'm going to start small and write 500 words a day. Just so I write each and every day. Ultimately, this is leading up to a Masters in Creative Writing that I'm planning on for next year. I have several months to produce enough material to comprise a portfolio. (Yay, first short story is nearly complete).

So, it all depends on your personal goal.

What are you setting out to achieve? Is this for practice? Novel Writing? Just keeping up with general writing each day? Do you have a deadline to submit a body of writing for a publisher or competition? Do you have a goal to write so many chapters a month?

I think that if you have specific goals, you need to shape your word-count around those. For example, if you have 4 chapters you need in one month, you could work out the approximate word-count for each one and divide by seven. Now that seems quite pedantic to me personally, but it may work.

I have a friend who is writing a short novel, and her limit is 1500 words every day. She knows how many chapters she will have, and her deadline.

hippokrene
June 26th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Like many aspiring writers here, I am aspiring to write.

I have goals for my writing, but this isn't for a specific one.

500-1000 words sounds doable.

MrBF1V3
June 26th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I tend to write by amount of time more than word count. It fits into the schedule easier. If it takes me an hour to write ten good words (of course I exaggerate), then I have ten good words. If I force myself to write a hundred or a thousand when I'm not ready, I have to rewrite the whole bunch anyway.

B5

Arinth
June 27th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I write 1000 words per day. I try and write about 5 days per week. I just sit down and write, I know I'll go back and edit it later, but I like to have something on the paper first.

It usually takes me 30=60 minutes to reach my goal. Of course there are going to be the days were it takes much longer than that.

I have found it is good for me to have that goal because I get a lot more production. The only downside is that some days I do not write at all because I don't have the energy to write up 1000 words. Everyone is different. 500 certainly is a managable amount.

Nan
June 27th, 2007, 12:25 AM
One thousand words a day is what I usually aim for, more if I can possibly squeeze it out of myself.

Holbrook
June 27th, 2007, 02:14 AM
What ever I can manage. At the moment that is very little. My study chair has broken, and I am using a dining room chair, which is the wrong height and plays havoc with my back and legs....

So, spells of more than half an hour I can't manage