View Full Version : Parallel plotlines

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

ArdusKane
June 26th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I was just thinking about it in the shower. I'm sure it has been tried before.

Two plotlines, different genres. For example, the fantasy one could be a knight hunting a thief, while the science fiction one could be a thief escaping from the government. The knight and the thief (respectively) are the main characters, then somehow some time paradox thingy occurs and the main character kills himself or something.

Thoughts? :o

hippokrene
June 26th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Hwha?

Can you run that plot by me one more time? The 'somehow some time paradox thingy occurs and the main character kills himself or something' seems a bit vague.

The idea of parallel plotlines in different genres is an unusual one. Is there any reason you're doing this other than finding it neat? Right now, this feels gimmicky. It would be an interesting short story, but I'm not seeing it filling an entire novel.

MrBF1V3
June 26th, 2007, 11:50 PM
.. and yet it does sound somewhat familiar. I can't place it though.

You should write it and see if it's any good.:rolleyes:

B5

ArdusKane
June 27th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I'm confusing myself too. :confused:

Arinth
June 27th, 2007, 12:59 AM
give it a shot, could be interesting

lin
June 27th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Not the old "main character kills himself" dodge again.

JBI
June 27th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Piers Anthony in his Blue Adept series does something similar, though it is the same character. In the sci-fi world he is an athlete who is forced to compete in games, in the fantasy world he is something of a wizard. Didn't get passed half way through the first book, but I hear that's what it ends up being.

MrBF1V3
June 27th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Not the old "main character kills himself" dodge again.

... or something. The main character kills himself ... or something. I really want to know what "or something" is. All things being equal, and even with the ambiguity of the second choice, the character would probably be best served by taking the second choice. But, it could be the wrong choice. It could be worse.

You just never know.

:)

B5

James Carmack
June 27th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I'm confusing myself too. :confused:

Where does that leave us? Before you can seek the answer, first you must know the question.

If I understand it correctly, you've got essentially the same story in two different settings. Is it supposed to be some cross-dimensional thing? The cruel wheel of fate coming full circle?

And if you kill yourself when you're not the you you kill, does it count as suicide?

BrianC
June 27th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Piers Anthony in his Blue Adept series does something similar, though it is the same character. In the sci-fi world he is an athlete who is forced to compete in games, in the fantasy world he is something of a wizard. Didn't get passed half way through the first book, but I hear that's what it ends up being.

*DingDingDing* The Adept series was what I thought of right away.