PDA

View Full Version : American Gods the Movie

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Kabada
July 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Okay, so I've just finished reading American Gods and I found it to be a really great story. As American as a book can be, and still provide an interesting plot and characters.

Given the current situation in Hollywood, there won't be a movie version of any of the big speculative fiction books I'd like to see. Mostly because most of them would cost a fortune (even in Hollywood terms) to realize. (See Hyperion, which has been optioned for years now, and for no little amount of cash, and still never made it...).

But American Gods, I mean, that should be possible, shouldn't it? It's been quite succesful, as far as I know, it's visual, it's a "stand alone" story, it already has AMERICAN in it's title, which can never be a bad thing in terms of marketing it to the crowds.

So what do you think? Would this one be easier to be made into a movie than other spec fiction books?
I've seen Night Watch by Lukianenko before I read American Gods and it struck me that Gaiman's book is some kind of an American version of that.
And the "Watch" movies have been quite succesful.

KatG
July 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
A lot of them are possible now that didn't used to be. George Martin's epic Song of Ice and Fire just got a deal with HBO as a miniseries project, for instance. Gaiman has been busy with a version of Beowulf and adapting his fable "Stardust" for the screen, coming out this summer as a big fantasy movie. His children's book, "Coraline," is also being turned into a film. His first novel, "Neverwhere," originally started life as a BBC television miniseries in Britain and is available on DVD. So I would imagine that they will tackle "American Gods," but they'll want him to adapt it and he hasn't gotten to it yet.

Konrad
July 7th, 2007, 05:01 AM
But donīt you think that the magic would disappear if they made it into a movie? And that Gaiman knows it?

That great book doesnīt deserve a halfgood movie. It must be perfect. And who could do that. I know that they probably will do the movie but as said I have my doubts of it.

Barbarossa
July 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM
A lot of them are possible now that didn't used to be. George Martin's epic Song of Ice and Fire just got a deal with HBO as a miniseries project, for instance. Gaiman has been busy with a version of Beowulf and adapting his fable "Stardust" for the screen, coming out this summer as a big fantasy movie. His children's book, "Coraline," is also being turned into a film. His first novel, "Neverwhere," originally started life as a BBC television miniseries in Britain and is available on DVD. So I would imagine that they will tackle "American Gods," but they'll want him to adapt it and he hasn't gotten to it yet.

Actually Neil Gaiman doesn't like adapting his own works. Probably due to dismal experiences with Good omens in the early 90s. (His short story "The goldfish pool and other stories" is loosly based on that experience).
Gaiman prefers to write original scripty or adapt the work of others, but has stated in his blog that he prefers other people to adapt his own works.

Abby
July 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Ehhhh ... I don't think it would make a good movie. There's not enough structure or character development. I think Gaiman has a more literary style, as opposed to literal.

Ranke Lidyek
July 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Ehhhh ... I don't think it would make a good movie. There's not enough structure or character development. I think Gaiman has a more literary style, as opposed to literal.

I agree. The beginning of the novel was great, then he lost the plot. It absolutely meanders and I would argue it wasn't even "literary" as much as it was unfocused. They would have to restructure the story extensively to make it worth the effort of translation.

krighton
July 28th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I agree. The beginning of the novel was great, then he lost the plot. It absolutely meanders and I would argue it wasn't even "literary" as much as it was unfocused. They would have to restructure the story extensively to make it worth the effort of translation.

Maybe with an NC-17 rating....it made GRRMs ASOIAF look tame by comparison...i don't see how they could chop out all the sex scenes.