View Full Version : Yep, another forgotten title

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

spacekase
July 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM
These memory problems drive me nutz, especially with obscure books. :D

The story takes place on an alternate earth serving as a kind of a purgatory for the human race. Because of ecological destruction humans banished themselves to a parallel world on the other side of a dimensional gateway (or something like that.) The parallel earth has no green anywhere, it is flat and grey and has little water. Humans survive by mining the coal (or whatever) on the surface. They have lived there so long that they have used about half of all the available stuff on the surface and after that they will probably just starve in the dark; however, no one wants to think about that.

The protagonist works for the highway building department and dreams of building curvy roads because the straight ones are boring but he is denied by those in charge: that would use too many resources. Clearly he is a dreamer. His girlfriend, with thick honey colored hair, turns out to be employed by the authorities to keep an eye on him. He finds out and they break up, and he goes home and drinks his daily ration of water all at once. He sees the bleak future, notices a green neon sign for the Green Earth Society and investigates. Despite the authorities trying to shut down the society and warning him away from such dangerous dreaming he hooks up with the society, meets the Obligatory Beautiful Girl and escapes through the Sekrit Gateway with his new friends after a dangerous chase to the now restored original Earth. The Earth holds it's breath for a moment as if to see whether the newly returned humans will be attuned with their new paradise, and then welcomes them.

Anybody have any ideas?

*edited for more details

JunkMonkey
July 18th, 2007, 12:43 PM
These memory problems drive me nutz, especially with obscure books. :D

The story takes place on an alternate earth serving as a kind of a purgatory for the human race.

Why did the name Fred Pohl immediately spring to my mind?

spacekase
July 21st, 2007, 08:47 PM
I dunno, possibly because he wrote it, but I can't find a book of that description by him.

JunkMonkey
July 22nd, 2007, 04:15 AM
I dunno, possibly because he wrote it, but I can't find a book of that description by him.

I wasn't being sarcastic. It was just as I read your description his name sprang into my mind. I've since looked for it amongst his books as well and drawn a blank too.

Weird things memories.

spacekase
May 30th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Just to see if anyone has any ideas :)

Vinny
July 18th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Just to see if anyone has any ideas :)

Have you tried yet doing a Google search on any terms or plot elements that you can remember clearly?

I wish you the best with your search for an answer to your question!

spacekase
October 29th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Have you tried yet doing a Google search on any terms or plot elements that you can remember clearly?

I wish you the best with your search for an answer to your question!

I did, every way I could think of. No luck yet!