PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: New Voyages

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

TauCeti
July 5th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Has anyone been following the progress of this series on the web?

http:/www.startreknewvoyages.com (http://www.startreknewvoyages.com)

Wulfa_Jones
July 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Not heard of this before, but it's quite a epic undertaking! Downloaded the first episode but not had a chance to watch it all yet - took a peak and while the acting ain't stunning I think it's going to be worth a watch.

Thanks for the link!

TauCeti
July 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM
They were just getting their feet wet in the pilot. Download "To Serve All My Days" with Walter Koenig. "World Enough and Time" with George Takei looks good too. The CGI and effects are great, IMHO.

Wulfa_Jones
July 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I watched the episode today, really enjoyed it. The dialogue is spot on and the plot was pretty interesting. Some pretty good CGI effects for a low budget production, I've not yet seen any of the re-done episodes of ST:TOS, but the CGI seems comparable to the stills that I've seen.

I can get past the sometimes dodgy acting, although I think the actors need to make the roles their own rather than attempting to imitate the original actors.

The problems for me were all production based. I've studied film so I know the basics about lighting and lighting was sometimes to little off. Also the sound isn't as high quality as I've heard on other fan-made productions. The other issues were the editing and the shaky cam, sometimes the editing was a bit poor and in certain scenes the camera work was all over the place.

However, these problems never really detracted from my enjoyment of the material. I'm planning to download the next few episodes tomorrow.

A must see for any Star Trek fan.

Wulfa_Jones
July 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Just watched the 2nd episode and it was greatly improved - the issues I talked about above have since been taken care off.

The only problem I had with this episode was:

They killed Chekov! I thought the idea behind the show was to plug the gap between the end of ST:TOS and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Now it's non-canon...

Otherwise a great episode, some real emotion portrayed and some impressive action scenes.

boyo
July 14th, 2007, 08:19 AM
While I have yet to see "New Frontiers"...there are a slew of shows out there based on Star Trek..."Starship Exeter" is pretty good on the CGI side. The stories are pretty good, although the acting isn't the greatest. The premise is based on the ship being re-crewed after having the biogenic disease cleaned out after the "Omega Glory" in TOS and the Exeter's captain, one Captain Garrovick, is a cousing the the Ensign Garrovick featured in "Obsession".

There's also "Star Trek: Hidden Frontier", loosely based on "Star Trek: Insurrection". The effects are very good, but I've had some problem with the acting, especially when it's apparent in the early episodes that all the interiors are done with blue screen. "Hidden Frontier" does have the distinction of being the longest running Star Trek-based series on the web. It also has the distinction of being first Star Trek-based series featuring openly gay characters. This may turn off some people, but if you can look past this and relatively poor acting in the earlier episodes, it's actually quite good.

There are several other Trek series on the web, including a comedic, animated series called "Stone Trek", which, while I haven't watched it, sounds something like "Flintstones In Space", but who's to say?

There's another featuring a Starfleet destroyer (The type with one nacelle slung underneath) but the CGI was so poor in the episode I saw, I bailed. Yeah, it was free and I got what I paid for, but....