PDA

View Full Version : How far should I read into the Spawn comics before they start to "suck"?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
July 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I use suck in parantheses because it's just another person's opinion, but it is the opinion of many who read the Spawn comics. I've only got and read the first tpb, where Spawn battles Violator and brings Kincaid to justice, but I've heard by many that the Spawn comics series gets really stale and stagnant later on. Is this true? And if so, how far should I read into it?

kater
July 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Tough to say, I've read all the main Spawn comics to date but it's been a while remembering everything. A good get out point is probably just after the return of Kincaid (around #80 if you can be bothered), or very early in the series (#30 ish - before he ends up across country) Tbh it's not that bad a comic, it's just clear that McFarlane never had any intention of 'finishing'. Even the recent armageddon arc recently has just rebooted the comic, making me angry enough to drop it.

Rob B
July 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Once Toddy boy stopped doing the art chores and moreso after he stopped the "writing" chores. There were some intriguing things during the early issues, the best of course those written by Dave Sim and Neil Gaiman. The early issues also explored some interesting theological things too.

I've boycotted anything by Todd McFarlane a few years ago over the whole handshake deal and MiracleMan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracleman#Todd_McFarlane_vs._Neil_Gaiman).

I actually liked the Spawn/WildC.A.T.s crossover mini-series. Then again, the reason it was more than just readable is because it was written by Alan Moore.