PDA

View Full Version : Independant Game Developer Seeks Writers for Post-Apocalypse RPG

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

lailahaillallah
July 10th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Hi All,

My name is Simon.

Currently we at SolidState Games are looking for talent Sci/fi writers who would wish to take part in the plot and dialogue writing of a post apocalyptic RPG computer game. We currently have concept artists, 3d artists, programmers, web designers, composers = everything except some really talented writers. We'd really like to see some expression of interest from talented writers who might be interested.

please forward any expression of interest to simon.dewar@solidstategames.net

Regards

Simon Dewar
SolidState Games

James Carmack
July 10th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Are you willing to provide more details for us or are you just seeding forums all over the Net?

I tell you what, Simon, if you stop by this site again, I'll consider you sincere and inquire further into the post. I have a little experience with game design and it's a real pain. You'll have to dangle some carrots out in front of me first.

"Who are you to make such demands?" you ask? No one in particular. Just a potentially interested party.

lailahaillallah
July 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM
ok. i'll post or send you a private message when i return from work tonight. :o

James Carmack
July 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Well then, you've proven you have some commitment to recruiting here. I might just be tempted to delve deeper into the offer. ^_^

lailahaillallah
July 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM
So far we have some general ideas of what we want the game to be like, Mainly from a game design perspective but we have very little written In terms of actual in game plot and quests.

Basically what we have done so far is bring together the people for the game. We have a team of about 14 people now all of which are quite talented in their respective fields, whether its concept art, 3d art, graphic design, programming, composing music ,etc. Beyond that we've begun work on the game design document, artists have begun work concepting some of the ideas we've been throwing around, and I've written a sort of "background story" which sets the scene for the world the game is set in, yet isnít actually the main plot of the game.

Basically what we have so far (and if you decide to actually join the team
I'll show you everything) is the idea for a post apocalyptic roleplaying game which is based in a world that has faced "apocalypse" due to a combination of warfare (conventional and limited nuclear war) and global warming. We decided not to go for the total nuclear war scenario as it would leave the gameworld being a barren desert/icy nuclear winter, and would not leave too many options as far as scenery or location. We have the idea of a world where temperatures, weather conditions, the ecology/ecosystem and the people and societies that inhabit them are at very polarized extremes. As mentioned I've authored the background setting for a game world which, for the post apocalypse genre, gives us maximum flexibility to create a game in which every time the player goes to a new location they think "whoa.. where the hell am i? and who the hell are these people!?!"

We've begun throwing around ideas for the beginning of the actual game plot/quest.. but we havenít nailed down anything as yet. We're very much at the point where we need some good writers to come in and start drawing up some different possibilities or scenarios. (although I must say I came up with what I think is a pretty decent idea for a beginning location for the main character)

What we're really after is a writer or two who can come onto the team and draw up some potential scenarios for the main plotline of the game and help us flesh out the game world a little in the sense of dreaming up in-game locations and societies, groups and factions within the game world, potential quests in those locations etc. Later on when we've got a little bit more of the storyline and game world set in concrete we'll need people to write quests and write character dialogue for those quests. This would involve multiple options for the main character to chose from and multiple options as responses made by the non-player characters - i.e a shiteload of dialogue!

Anyway, have a think about it and let me know if you might be interested. If so let me know and if possible, if you could show me some example of your writing, that would be good. We signed up a few "writers" previously and they donít seem to have much by way of creativity or commitment/drive to actively participate, so we're hoping to get someone a little more "qualified"/"talented" on board.

Regards

Simon

James Carmack
July 11th, 2007, 07:57 AM
If you want to see examples of my work, go to my profile and follow the link to my site.

I happen to have several apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic stories of my own in pre-production. I have more than a passing affection for that sort of thing.

As I mentioned earlier, I have some limited experience with game design as well, just enough to have a fair understanding of the whole process.

I feel like playing footsie a bit. I tell you what, let's make this a bit of a test. E-mail me a slightly more detailed premise (something along the lines of what you'd see in the Story section of your typical manual) with the overall objective included. The address is james@palidormedia.com. I'll spin some yarns off of it along the lines you indicated. If it strikes your fancy, we can start talking turkey. How's that sound?

Rocket Sheep
July 11th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Is it a labour of love or a joint financial venture? Or a labour of love that you're hoping turns into a joint financial venture?

lailahaillallah
July 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM
at this stage its a labour of love, if it turns into a joint financial venture later on then all well and good.

p.s check your emails james.

silverdrake3
July 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Looks like it's time to listen to "Pilgrimage" by Suzanne Vega for an hour or two. That song always makes me think "post-apocalyptic."

Although my style often swings more into the fantasy field, I do have several ideas for cultures, cults, and other things. If you have room in your game for mutated species, I'll be happy as a clam.

I'll email you a bare-bones preview of my favorite cult-- the Madu Kadu.

James Carmack
July 11th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Well, Simon, I've gone over the material you sent me and I've come to the conclusion that I won't be much use to you. Sorry 'bout that.

While I'm withdrawing myself from the creative sphere, I will remain available as an editorial consultant if you ever fear for your commas.

I will toss you one idea. Consider this as a possibility for a villainous group (maybe even the primary villain). An apocalyptic cult seeks to purge the globe in nuclear fire, ushering in the planet's rebirth. The cataclysm was incomplete and now the faithful must finish the job, uncovering the hidden stockpiles, reconstructing dismantled weapons and deploying them worldwide for single all-consuming conflagration. Obviously, stopping them would be a priority for our hero. The gravity of the threat they pose and the degree of success they find is up to you.

Now for a bit of advice. Don't project current events decades in the future verbatim. I could only laugh seeing last month's news becoming the headlines 31 years from now. Who in 1811 would write "In 1842, British conscription of American sailors increased tensions between the two countries and finally led to war"?