PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's Annhilation

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Rob B
July 14th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I've picked up both the prologue and the first issue of Wraith, an denjoyed them enough to pique my interest in the 2006 series.

The crossover seemed enormous, what with Marvel publishing three oversized hardcovers of collected series.

Can anybody offer some thoughts on the series?

kater
July 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM
It was a relatively small event suprisingly - there was a prologue, four four-issue character minis = Nova, Super Skrull, Silver Surfer and Ronan. Then came the six-issue main series. For me it's the best 'event' in the last ten years, it takes a galactic approach without using any of the major, familiar Marvel U characters. No stupid tie-ins just to cash in on the series, the writing is sharp, characterisation is strong, artwork is generally good with glorious covers and the battles are epic. Plus there was no crappy endings. I have the two collected hardcovers to date that you're on about and they're superb, the covers are stunning and it adds a few little extras to the mix - one of the volumes contains a Drax the Destroyer mini from 2005 that, for those who don't know the character, introduces him and his purpose in life - namely killing Thanos. Value for money and a huge contrast in quality to Civil War, gets my recommendation every time :)

The prologue for Conquest was good, some of the ideas and set-ups look a lot of fun but I wasn't fussed on the Wraith #1, seems like a creator's wet dream of a character that just offers too many cheat ways out for an ending. If you're following the new Annhilation make sure you pick up Nova #4 ;)

Rob B
July 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the summation, kater, which is exactly what I was hoping to see. Wraith wasn't too bad, visually he looks a bit like Gaiman's Sandman. The character does seem rather powerful.