View Full Version : Free Fiction?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

KeshFerrar
July 15th, 2007, 09:34 PM
We have public broadcasting and public radio, but what about public literature?

I visit my local public library monthly. And because I forget when my books are due, I make frequent "donations" as well. But the books in the library weren't initially created with the intent to be freely distributed. When I say public literature that's what I mean: literature written with the sole intent of distributing it for free. I'm looking for the PBS of fiction.

The internet, web, and electronic documents provide the perfect medium. We have the capability, but I don't know of any public or non profit publishers.

Baen Publishing is decent for releasing free material -- I enjoy their books and magazine. But in my opinion, it's still marketing. You get interested in the book, series, or short story, so you'll purchase the other books and the mag.

Free content is different than being a not a non profit publisher.

Does anyone know of any? How do you feel about the idea in general?

James Carmack
July 15th, 2007, 11:14 PM
If you're just talking literature in general, you've got tons of resources like Project Gutenburg out there offering free e-texts of just about anything not under copyright protection.

As for new material, I'm sure there are places that offer content for free. Shoot, you could consider this site one such resource. Free content isn't hard to come by.

Now, if you're wanting a copy of the latest bestseller for free, that's a no-go. I mean, if everyone could read it for free, it couldn't become a bestseller, now could it? There are kids and small animals to feed, after all.

Arinth
July 16th, 2007, 12:12 AM
public broadcasting and public radio work because there are advertisers. Without them, we wouldn't have broadcasting of radio for free. Even though they are free to viewers/listeners the people who create/produce/execute them are doing it to make money.

There are places online to find free literature, but I would never expect books to be free, unless they find a way to stuff tuns of advertisements in them as well.

lin
July 16th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Actually, public TV and radio have plenty of commercials. Just listen for awhile.

And they are not free. They are paid for by tax money. Which essentially means they are partially paid for by people who don't enjoy them and would not wish to support them.

There has been free public literature project in this country for centuries. It's called the public library.

They even have best-sellers you read without paying.

Holbrook
July 16th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Over here Libraries are run by local county councils, so local tax payers fund them... Used to be by donations at one time I believe. Victoian mill owner wants to leave his mark on the town builds a library, you get the picture ;)

In the end someone pays for everything in some way, nowt is for free...

KeshFerrar
July 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Libraries and Proj Gutenberg: I mentioned it in my initial post -- this isn't what I'm looking for. Yes, they're great public services, and they can offer new books, but its all about initial intent. The books were intended to be sold and the distribution is relatively limited.

Advertisements - Yes, public broadcasting has advertisements -- usually at the beginning and end of every piece, show, etc. But it doesn't interrupt you throughout. I don't see why this couldn't work online: remove the pesky Google Ads and get underwriters that get their logo at the bottom of the website. And with a pdf you'd just add a frontpage that lists the "sponsors." I'm thinking of electronic media simply because that is easiest in the electronic age.

Free content - Yes, it free content isn't hard to come by. But I'm looking for a dedicated site. A site that has editors, screens stories, and pays its writers.

I seems like it would be an interesting, and possibly, promising non profit idea. A good quality online magazine that gives exposure to new and not yet professional writers, and its free. Can I ask why some of you seem pessimistic?

lin
July 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Because we live in the real world?

Sorry, but what else serves to answer this. All you want is for somebody to set something up, pay the business costs, pay the editors, pay the writers, then give the product away for free.

Nothing in that seems a little pie-sky to you?

James Carmack
July 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I think it goes beyond your average pie in the sky. This is pie la mode in the sky. (The ice cream makes it all the more delicious, but it doesn't to you much good up in the stratosphere.)

Arinth
July 16th, 2007, 09:21 PM
someone would have to be rich enough not to care how much money they are loosing and have a love for literature.

being as how that is not very common (not that rich people don't like literature) we are Realistic about it.

KeshFerrar
July 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Because we live in the real world?

Sorry, but what else serves to answer this...

A bit harsh, but its was done to make a point.

I live in the real world too. The same world that created PBS, Linux, Wikipedia, and Conservation International. The same world that has seen numerous other non profits take shape because people with a common dream are a powerful force. Non profits that are responsible for tremendous good deeds.

I never said creating a non profit isn't hard work. But is it really any more difficult than becoming a famous author, or starting a new publishing business? And its greatly more altruistic.

someone would have to be rich enough not to care how much money they are loosing and have a love for literature.

How is creating enduring works of art and brining happiness to people a loss? I'd hate to think that the all mighty green is the only driving force behind the population.