PDA

View Full Version : Stats on Short Fiction

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Glelas
July 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Anyone know what the numbers are for "new" authors getting a short story bought from Asimov's? Analog? etc...Not web-zines or semi-pro...just the heavy hitters.

Is there a website?

lin
July 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I doubt they keep lists of how many rejects they do. Occasionally you will see a mag state how many submissions they get per month. Then you can count stories in a issue and do the math.

I'd suggest you don't unless you are just spoiling for some depression.

Holbrook
July 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Take Interzone, one of the top UK mags. They have a twice yearly submission period for email subs. (open all the year for snail mail) In May this year they had over 500 email subs, out of that about 35 were short listed, of that maybe 3 to 5 will get picked.

http://www.ttapress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=106&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=4afd3441f796a5ff57ca082c5f498b98

I have a short story coming out soon in an anthology by a small press. I know the publisher had upwards of 250 submissions for this one book.

jchines
July 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM
That depends -- how good is the story?

Glelas
July 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM
That depends -- how good is the story?

The story is awesome, the best short story to ever be written. ;)

jchines
July 25th, 2007, 08:39 PM
In that case, your odds are pretty darn good :)

I know it's a smart-ass response, but it's also true. I've seen people sell their very first story to one of the top zines, right out of the slush. One of my friends did that with Realms of Fantasy. I had about 25 rejections from Realms at that point, so it was more than a little annoying.

Anyway, it's never easy, and sometimes good stories still get bounced because they're not quite right for the magazine, but a damn good story will generally find a home ... eventually.