SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

OgreWolf
July 28th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Hi!

Don't you find it rude, reading a story, rating it, but not leaving a comment? :confused:
Ok, of course I'm kidding. I'm happy for every rating I get, but it would be nice to get some feedback.
I've been getting some ratings that are too good for me to believe, thus I suspect these have been given to me by someone who knows me and want to be nice. Comments would help me root out these friends, because I really want to know what people think of my stories...

So, to you who sometimes read stories in the stories section. It would be nice if you left a little (constructive) comment. I'm sure all of us who have published stories there would appreciate it greatly. This doesn't mean that I'm not grateful for just getting rated.

Hmm, perhaps I should grow some selfconfidence. :eek:

Thanks! :)

lin
July 28th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I haven't used this, but if that's what happening it is totally useless to the writer and I would see no reason to post in order to get some little score. Does NOTHING of the task of honing writing. I can't beleive the site would be set up to allow peer review that gives meaningless numbers but not feedback. Why would a writer post for that?

Power to the J
July 28th, 2007, 11:59 AM
The only way I get feedback on a story (on this site) is by posting a thread in this section and giving a link to the story. The reviews I get are on the thread, but are very helpfull. If you decide to try this, I'd be happy to give you feedback.

Dawnstorm
July 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I haven't used this, but if that's what happening it is totally useless to the writer and I would see no reason to post in order to get some little score. Does NOTHING of the task of honing writing. I can't beleive the site would be set up to allow peer review that gives meaningless numbers but not feedback. Why would a writer post for that?

No, the site does have a feedback function; it's just that people don't tend to use it. Those that comment on stories tend to hang out in the forum; the story section is more used to "host" the stories. I once thought about giving myself a comment so I knew how it looked in the author interface.

I don't usually rate or comment on stories I read there. (Come to think of it, I rarely read stories if they're not linked to from the forum, and then I tend to comment in the thread rather than on the site.)

lin
July 28th, 2007, 12:16 PM
You mis understand. What I'm saying is it's a mistake to set it up so it's possible to rate without review. Zoetrope, for instance, won't accept a review under so many words...or under so much time elapsed since viewing the piece.

I would reccomend they modulate the php to create that, or admonish reviewers to post reviews of have their comments removed.

KatG
July 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM
We're not a literary magazine or a writers' workshop. People are free to put up their stories and are not guaranteed feedback on them.

OgreWolf originally put this thread in the Fantasy Forum and didn't know that the Writing Forum was set up to critique stories if the writer placed a thread here with a link to the story for us to use and comment. We ask writers to put their stories in the Story Section of our site so that we do not have to deal with the problems of outside links and because the chat forums are only set up to take small excerpts in the threads themselves. Now that OgreWolf knows about the set-up, I'm sure more feedback will occur. (See RobB about putting up a link to your story in the thread, OgreWolf.)

We also have a group of members who are running their own writers group, and OgreWolf or others may want to check it out.

lin
July 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM
We're not a literary magazine or a writers' workshop. People are free to put up their stories and are not guaranteed feedback on them.

Yet there is a "rating" system? Even power review sites like Zoetrope and Triggerstreet don't "guarantee" feedback. But they don't allow stories to be graded without giving feedback.

lin
July 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I can't find this "story" section. Where is it?

James Carmack
July 28th, 2007, 08:54 PM
It's "Stories" to be precise. Look up at the top of the page, lin. Second button from the left.

Power to the J
July 28th, 2007, 11:39 PM
^^^ LOL

Anyway, I think the setup is perfectly fine. The fact that the option to post my work on a forum dedicated to science fiction & fantasy is good enough for me.

If the system here is so flawed, and the other sites are so great, why not just post there?