PDA

View Full Version : Can you Help Identify This Novel?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Phellim
August 2nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Phellim - It's Monty Python from the 70's. I didn't find it on the scripts from the 60's BBC television series when I looked, so I dug a little deeper. I used to have the *album* (Uh-oh - Im giving away my ancient-ness). Sometimes we mis-fit and/or miscreant types have photographic memories for the stupidest material. It's a curse. Oh well. Could be worse I guess - I could be living on Rotogen 5 with a Takfrasser for a boss.

I was sure I recognised it!

You shouldn't feel strange, a lot of people would love to have a photographic memory. A friend of mine can actually quote the entire first chapter of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

lin
August 2nd, 2007, 12:50 PM
I was never a huge Python fan, but I thought that routine was one of the funniest things they ever did. Along with "How To Speak Japanese".

I saw it as a straight comedy sketch in the film "The Secret Policeman's Other Ball", a live concert.

lin
August 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
I was never a huge Python fan, but I thought that routine was one of the funniest things they ever did. Along with "How To Speak Japanese".

I saw both bits as straight comedy sketches in the film "The Secret Policeman's Other Ball", a live concert.

Mice9
August 3rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
You shouldn't feel strange, a lot of people would love to have a photographic memory. A friend of mine can actually quote the entire first chapter of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

That IS impressive. Funny you should mention that. One of Douglas Adams' influences was in fact... Monty Python. Having a photographic memory is kind of cool sometimes. Perhaps your friend should try acting. I've toyed in that arena, and it's fun - just don't expect to get paid much unless you really hit it big. By the way - I enjoy feeling strange. Or rather - I enjoy being a mis-fit/miscreant. I'm not sure what it would be like to feel 'Normal', but I'm quite sure I wouldn't like it.

Hobbit
August 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine can actually quote the entire first chapter of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Very useful in a Fahrenheit 451 way.... and I guess it competes with those who can quote whole scripts of Python.

Back to topic: I liked the Vinge books, but then I really like The Snow Queen and the Summer Queen, which many didn't. Doesn't write much these days though, it seems.

Is this thread done yet?

Hobbit

lin
August 3rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Doesn't write much these days though, it seems.

Neither does Neal Stephenson. My experience of Seattle is that the rotten weather stimulates writing at first because you don't want to go outside, but over the long haul drags you down into depression.

Maybe that explains it.