PDA

View Full Version : Can you Help Identify This Novel?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jahiya
July 31st, 2007, 10:48 AM
I read a novel back in 1996 which dealt a bit with telepathy and the internet. The main character cat/kat was a male ruffian picked up off the street by the police. They used his telepathic powers to connect directly into the internet to control cybercrime organizations (I think). It was a bit of a scifi, cyberpunk kind of novel. I think the author was a woman, but I could be wrong. If anyone has read anything similar please post. I have been trying to find this book for years. Thank you!

tdeanatoz@yahoo
July 31st, 2007, 12:01 PM
This sounds like one of the [*Cat] novels of Joan D. Vinge, but the synopses don't seem to match what you've given us here:

"Psiren"
Psion
Catspaw
Dreamfall

Jahiya
July 31st, 2007, 12:05 PM
This is the book! Thank you!

tdeanatoz@yahoo
July 31st, 2007, 12:10 PM
You're welcome!

lin
July 31st, 2007, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a good read.

I learned UNIX from homeless bums using the internet in the public library to play games with each other, so it strikes a chord.

Actually that was sort of pre-internet, come to think of it. Linked community networks, as I recalled. No graphics, just text. How could people have LIVED like that?

RimWorlder
July 31st, 2007, 01:26 PM
hah!

it used to be FAR worse than that.

Try no internet at all, no home computers and only 3 channels of black and white tv that stopped broadcasting at 1 or 2 am...

telephones you had to DIAL (there's a reason they call it dialing when you're actually pushing buttons...)

doing math with paper and pencil, or at best a sliderule

MANUAL typewriters

NO copiers - just multiple sheets of carbon paper!

The Horrors!

lin
July 31st, 2007, 02:59 PM
Ah yes, I seem to dimly realize the world of which you speak. It seems like a bad dream now. Except for:

No graffiti on everything
No goddam ****ing rap music
No Bush
$35 a month rent
A quarter a gallon for gas, a quarter for a hamburger, a quarter for a pack of cigarettes.
A quarter for movies. Double feature with a serial, cartoon and newsreel.
No television where I lived.
No Paris Hilton

FitzChivalry
July 31st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Man you guys are old. Tell us the story about how you went to school with Lincoln.

RimWorlder
July 31st, 2007, 07:55 PM
Not Lincoln! Washington! We had to walk, bothways, barefoot, in the snow, just to get an education. They hadn't invented the internal combustion engine yet.

And that Cherry Tree story? He lied. It was already chopped down when he got there.

Yes, you are getting old when your life spans 5 or more decades.

There were lots of things to recommend those days which, as is always the case, can only be appreciated by those who lived through them.

I actually grew up listening to radio plays. It does wonders for the imagination. I grew up watching B&W television and movies. There's something about seeing the color in your head that adds a missing element; George Romero and Woody Allan knew it - the each made a film in B&W because that was the only way they could get the 'feel' they were looking for.

Sure things were a lot less advanced technologically and culturally, but we definately had things then - good things - that don't exist anymore: how about not having to worry about locking your house or your car up? How about being able to let your kids roam the neighborhood because EVERYONE was keeping an eye on them?

How about moon landings? Yep, we actually sent people to other planets back in those days... There were the original 7 astronauts, and then the second 7. (Not a one of them went psychotic...) Sure they fooled around and drove their cars while drunk (that's another thing - the cops took you home, not to jail...), but they were the american ideal and everyone could pretend they had something to look up to and be inspired by. The sense that the nation had just collectively saved the world and was moving on to the next great adventure was something palpable.

Sure we had to hide under our desks during nuclear bomb air raid drills and we lived with the threat of the Red Menace, but if those Russians gave us half a chance, we were going to go somewhere.

When a special alert news bulleting came on, it was because something really, really bad had happened and everyone paid attention.

Now we're just marking time until the next man-made or natural disaster gives the cable channels an excuse to flash 'special alert' across the screen...

lin
July 31st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Ah, you had it easy. WHen I was your age I was twice as old.

I didn't go to school with Lincoln. I went to school with Schwin, then Honda, then Triumph.