PDA

View Full Version : How do I choose the right publisher?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Galathea
July 31st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Please send me comments on how to narrow the list of potential publishers for an absolutely RIVETING book I'm currently translating from French into English (for Editions Atalante)...
I've translated 9 books already and this is the best by far. Its characteristics:
Hard SF, eco-thriller, (fairly) near-future, two protagonists who really come to life, page-turner (all 700+), lots of action, some violence (none of it gratuitous though), excellent plot.
Who's the right editor, the right publisher? This book deserves a global market; American readers deserve the pleasure, the right, the tasty treat of reading this book!
Thanks, everyone.

choppy
July 31st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Hi Galathea, and welcome.

Are you also the book's author? I have no idea how translating someone else's book works, but I would assume that the author and/or publisher (in the original language - depending on rights purchased) would still have all rights to the work.

Assuming you are the author, finding a publisher is just about the same as for the rest of us. Find a reputable company that's accepting unsolicited manuscripts and that seems to publish similar work and fire it off. Your other option is to look for an agent to represent you. One tip I've heard recently is to look for agents who are relatively new, and seeking new clients - they're more willing to look over unsolicited work.

lin
July 31st, 2007, 03:07 PM
Translated books have rather a cachet right now, I think. These fads move quickly, but I referred a woman with a foreign novel to an agent I know and she told me she was delighted to look at foreign work, the New York Times Book Review had just done a piece of second-language successes and it was a hot property.

Galathea
August 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. No, I'm not the author -- I wouldn't have so shamelessly vaunted the merits of this great book...;)
Editions Atalante will certainly keep the rights, as French publishers remain in the medieval ages -- they are the feudal lords and the author is but a serf. Translators exist in a grey area.
I could register my translation with the Library of Congress, acc. to US law, but am satisfied just to earn my fee for the translating work and see this book into print in English.
Why I ask for your help is to get names of editors and publishers, agents etc. susceptible to actually considering the ms. I only have access to an old Writers Market at the moment, and it's so big, where can I start? Any names out there, anyone?? Please?