PDA

View Full Version : Starting Stargate (For Newbs)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

intensityxx
July 31st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Oddly enough, I've never watched a Stargate tv show or movie (although I did walk through the gate at WorldCon ;) ). Because it's such a long series, plus Atlantis, I'm wondering how good it is (would it be worth it to start it now?).

Netflix is making it hard to start at SG-1 Season One (missing disc and long wait for the very first disc), so I'd probably have to buy, or pay extra to rent the first season myself.

For comparison's sake, BSG keeps me glued to the screen.

Wulfa_Jones
August 1st, 2007, 04:09 AM
StarGate: SG1 was a good Sci-Fi series. The shows last seasons weren't as good, the loss of Richard Dean Anderson and the end of the original story arc saw it lose it's focus some what. While the replacement characters were good - particually Claudia Black's Vala - the dynamics on the original cast was lost.

I'd watch the film before you watch the series, while you don't really need to as it's re-capped in the opening episode, the film is rather enjoyable.

I'd give the first couple of seasons a watch and see what you think of it, although the more interesting story lines develop later on.

I never took at Atlantis, but these shows tend to be designed for you to be able to jump in at any point and follow the story without much trouble.

Phellim
August 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM
SG1 is one of my all-time favourite shows, Atlantis is great too and still in the early-ish stages, a third series is planned for next year, and 2 films based on Stargate SG1 are being filmed, with the possibility of one more a year if all goes well.

You wont regret watching them, but you should pace yourself.

Kabada
August 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
I actually think the first couple seasons were quite ok to watch, but they are very much single-episode based. So I don't know how that would work out if you're planning to watch it in greater doses than 1 episode a week.

Also, seasons nine and ten, to me at least, were in no way less enjoyable than the previous ones. Stargate just went one step further towards the comedy end of the dramedy scale it works on in those two seasons. I liked that.

As to Atlantis: It starts off a bit faster than the original series (shouldn't be much of a surprise), and the characters are, well, rip-offs of the original SG1. It keeps getting better until now and I'm really looking forward to season four.
Again, I think Atlantis has more comedy elements than the original SG1 seasons. Thanks mostly to McKay.

cougs
August 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
I agree with Wulfa_Jones, I would watch the movie and see how you like it.

SG-1 is really a great series, seasons 1-3 are mostly stand alone with some arc's developing, seasons 4-6 are pretty epic, seasons 7-10 bring about a lot of changes but are still very good.

all in all it was a very enjoyable show, i don't regret any time i spent on it.

Khallandra
August 5th, 2007, 03:54 AM
I have really enjoyed Stargate since the movie :)

For most of this year with some friends we've started the series from season 1 and are going to plow through it all (over time of course) - it is rather good even now (though some of the early plots have massive holes, but what fledgling sci-fi doesn't ;))

Holbrook
August 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
intensityxx, BSG it is not.

If you are a fan of BSG you will find the Stargate series seriously lacking. In my opinon the acting in Stargate is wooden, the stories have so many plot holes in you could drive BSG through ;) and recycle each series. Oh no another big baddy with a worm in his/her tummy is going to destroy earth!!!

Horses for courses I suppose, if you want a few hours of SF TV that doesn't tax the brain cells then Stargate is ok...

Phellim
August 5th, 2007, 07:56 AM
intensityxx, BSG it is not.

If you are a fan of BSG you will find the Stargate series seriously lacking. In my opinon the acting in Stargate is wooden, the stories have so many plot holes in you could drive BSG through ;) and recycle each series. Oh no another big baddy with a worm in his/her tummy is going to destroy earth!!!

Horses for courses I suppose, if you want a few hours of SF TV that doesn't tax the brain cells then Stargate is ok...

You're wrong in so many ways! If I start ranting, I won't be able to stop, so I'm going to leave and pretend I never read that.

Holbrook
August 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
You're wrong in so many ways! If I start ranting, I won't be able to stop, so I'm going to leave and pretend I never read that.

Why pretend you didn't read it? This thread is about opinons of a TV show, not all opinions are going to agree with yours, that's part of a discussion, isn't it?

As I said it is my personal opinion. intensityxx asked for opinions I gave mine. BSG is a many layered, with tightly character driven scripts. If she likes that type of story, I feel she will find Stargate sadly lacking. Stargate is the world threatened by big bad aliens, with stand alone shows that often have no bearing from one story to the next. The characters are not given much depth, and are killed off and brought back to life in cliff hanger after cliff hanger. It is also very American, their view of politics, their way the world should be etc... Gets a bit tiresome, Star Trek was the same. BSG, like B5 dares to show humans as not always the good guys, with the right, and only way of doing things. Also I found I did not connect or care for the characters in the TV series Stargate, the film, on the other hand was well done and well written.

As I said horse for courses, Stargate is good enough for a wet Sunday afternoon TV, but not in my opinion worth spending money on buying the series.

gollumbells
August 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I have seen some of the series on tv when nothing else was on. I used to watch farscape and made it a ritual that i had to watch all of the series.
re watched it a while ago and realised how low budget it was.........

Still great though