PDA

View Full Version : Babylon 5: The Lost Tales....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

boyo
August 6th, 2007, 06:02 AM
As many Babylon 5 fans did recently, I went out and bought the new DVD of Lost Tales. As I watched, I felt a thrill at seeing the five mile-long space station once again, but wondered just what was up.

The tales were very spare, with very little actually going on. I enjoyed both segments, particularly the first as it is no real secret that JMS is an agnostic and the religious overtones in that light are humorous, but....

I'm hoping this is just the tip of the iceberg, a taste of great things to come, because otherwise, I, and many others, will be very disappointed. It felt as if it were a pilot, and as with many pilots, it left you wanting more, much more.

While it was good, bordering on very good, it was not great, which is what I was expecting and hoping for.

I'll admit that I have been exceptionally vague on purpose...you should get out and buy the DVD and watch it for yourself and make your own decision...

david johnson
August 13th, 2007, 04:31 PM
'twas ok. deliver me from preachy agnostics...that's where sagan fouled up 'contact'. i don't expect a producer to create what he doesn't have a belief for, and this one worked out.

dj

tdeanatoz@yahoo
August 25th, 2007, 12:33 PM
"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us, that part of us remains. Go anywhere in this station, when it is quiet, and just listen. After a while, you will hear the echoes of all our conversations, every thought and word we’ve exchanged. Long after we are gone, our voices will linger in these walls." - G'Kar

To hear the voice of the late Andreas Katsulas saying these words at the opening of this DVD was quite a moving experience; it caught me completely off-guard…

It came as a surprise to me that J. Michael Straczynski, the creative force behind Babylon 5, had talked Warner Bros. into bankrolling the production of a direct-to-DVD compilation of 3 new Babylon 5 tales, to be released under the title Babylon 5: The Lost Tales. Each would be a self-contained story of 30 minutes or so, and all 3 together would comprise an anthology of sorts called Voices in the Dark. Well, the bad news is that one of the 3 stories, for whatever reason, was unable to be filmed at the appropriate time. The good news is that the two that did make it onto this DVD are pretty good stories themselves, showing through the "Future History" aspect of B5 that there are plenty of tales left to be told in this series.

The first tale, "Over Here," is a creepy little story of Colonel Lochley's (Tracy Scoggins) realization that an honest-to-God demon or spirit may be inhabiting one of the workers of B5, and her attempt to "exorcise" it through the intercession of a religious cleric. This episode displays some impressive use of the hand-held SteadyCam, and has great guest stars in Alan Scarfe and Bruce Ramsay.

But it’s the second tale, "Over There," that people will want to see. President John Sheridan (Bruce Boxleitner) is returning to B5 to lead the 10th anniversary of the Interstellar Alliance, but is interrupted as he arrives at the station by the mysterious Technomage Galen (Peter Woodward), who uses his powers to show Sheridan a future New York City being destroyed by a fleet led by a Centauri prince whose younger self Sheridan is about to meet at the coming festivities. After comparing the young prince to Hitler or Genghis Khan, Galen presents Sheridan with a dilemma: If Galen gives him the means and opportunity to kill this young monster, thereby saving millions of future lives, should Sheridan take it? Although his decision is never really in doubt, it's still interesting to see the intellectual game of cat-and-mouse being played out between President and Technomage. It reminds us that we never got to see the resolution of the short-lived Crusade spin-off…

JMS has stated that there will be more of these Lost Tales DVD's if sales of this one meet expectations. Since I loved B5, since it was a member of my family while it was on the air, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It would be fantastic to someday buy a DVD that said Babylon 5, The Lost Tales: The Telepath War.