PDA

View Full Version : Help. Trying to find an old favourite.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Chuffalump
August 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
First time on ANY forum.

I'm trying to identify some books I read more than twenty five years ago. All by the same author. George somebody I think. They all dealt with humans discovering mental powers. In one book aliens tried to kill all humans on earth with missiles but just succeeded in releasing the full potential on the human mind. Most humans died simply because they wished they were dead or wish for a "death ray" (which emitted poisonous radiation) or wish for a million pounds and get crushed to death when it turns up in coins. The books hero creates a code word for his mind so that he can't make accidental wishes, a German word, something like 'aufmachen'. In another book the hero is a 'stinker'. No humans can get near him without feeling an uncontrollable urge to kill. It turns out that this a defence mechanism of aliens who are controlling most of the world but find there are certain humans who are immune to their mind control.

These may be childrens sci fi but I was reading from both childrens and adult sections of the library at the time so....

Any ideas?

ArthurFrayn
August 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Not sure of the details as I didn't read all of the books, and it's been a while, but it sounds a bit like the Wild Cards books by George RR Martin...

Chuffalump
August 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks Arthur but I've read some of the Wild Card stuff and they weren't part of that series. I'll check out his book list just in case...

beenorthern
August 10th, 2007, 11:29 PM
The second book with "Stinkers" is certainly *Invader On My Back* by Philip E. High. The first is not familiar to me, but I haven't read ALL his books. One reviewer describes them as "mind candy", but I have a sneaking fondness ...

Chuffalump
August 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks, beenorthern. Don't know why I thought the authors name was George but it was a long time ago. I checked Philip E High's book list and it turns out the first one I read was 'Blindfold from the Stars'. I think I'll see if I can get a copy to see if I enjoy it as much now as I did then. Probably was mind candy but who says we have to think deep thoughts all the time?

Thanks again.