PDA

View Full Version : Flash Gordon's Alive!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Wulfa_Jones
August 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM
On Friday Sci-Fi premier their new Flash Gordon series. A breif trailer can be seen over on the Sci-Fi channels site.

It doesn't look to shabby. The film quality looks good -like the style the major networks use and not the super bright stuff Sci-Fi normally use (on the Dresden Files for example).

The guy who played the 'jock' on Smallville for the first couple of seasons is Flash. He's blond, well built with a square jaw and so looks like how you'd imagine Flash.

As I said, it was only a teaser trailer and it didn't really give much away. Could be good, could be awful.

P.S. Just noticed my rather poor grammar mistake on this posts subject title!

boyo
August 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I've been keeping an eye on this and It's either going to be really, really good or really, really bad. I just don't think there can be any middle ground on something like this. I remember the 30's serials being rerun on WPIX out of New York in the '60's and it was fun, engaging stuff, but I always felt that the 1980's movie was camp to the extreme and almost unwatchable.

I know that the producers are trying to leave most of the camp out and trying to take out some of the oriental racism that was evident in the serials, but whether they can translate a 1930's concept to the 21st century will have to be seen.

It's been done with Battlestar Galactica, because, really, while we hoped, how many of us actually believed that anyone could take the original and elevate it to the grandeur it deserved?

We can hope.

Wulfa_Jones
August 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I've been keeping an eye on this and It's either going to be really, really good or really, really bad. I just don't think there can be any middle ground on something like this. I remember the 30's serials being rerun on WPIX out of New York in the '60's and it was fun, engaging stuff, but I always felt that the 1980's movie was camp to the extreme and almost unwatchable.

I know that the producers are trying to leave most of the camp out and trying to take out some of the oriental racism that was evident in the serials, but whether they can translate a 1930's concept to the 21st century will have to be seen.

It's been done with Battlestar Galactica, because, really, while we hoped, how many of us actually believed that anyone could take the original and elevate it to the grandeur it deserved?

We can hope.

I do like the Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon serials, very enjoyable and quite imaginative adventure romps. The 80s film was a little camp... I did like it was a child, but I'm not much of a fan now.

I don't think they are going to play this one too camp, I imagine it'll have humor in it, but I don't think it's going to be to anywhere near as farcical as the 80s movie. From what I understand, they are based on Earth and can travel back and forth. I guess this will cut down on the budget! Also it seems that rather than travelling to Mongo via a a ship created by Dr Zarkov, but rather a spacial rift.

My only worry is that there doesn't seem to have been an advanced press screening and the launch time is a bit odd. Maybe they are launching it before September to try and gather up a fan base before the bigger network launch their new shows and bring back the returning series.

Wulfa_Jones
August 10th, 2007, 06:17 AM
My only worry is that there doesn't seem to have been an advanced press screening and the launch time is a bit odd.

Seems I was right to worry... the reviews from the pass preview are in and they ain't good...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33634

Not a single good review... lazy writing, poor acting, cheap looking...

Ah well, I'll still give it ago. You'd think Sci-Fi, a channel dedicated to sci-fi programing would be able to get it right more than once in a blue moon (Battle Star). If this turns out to be bad, then that's Dresden and Flash that Sc-Fi have screwed up...

kegasaurus
August 11th, 2007, 08:02 AM
lazy writing, poor acting, cheap looking...

Sounds like one of Dino's production's. 'Gordon's once again alive.'

For me the Queen induced Jones adventure is the greatest Sci-Fi movie of all time.

boyo
August 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I actually watched the pilot episode last night and it wasn't that bad...although it wasn't great. I admit that I said it would be great or horrible and it is neither...just middlin'. Yet I remember When Star Trek: The Next Generation debuted and that wasn't great, either. It took some time to actually get moving.

I'm willing to give it another shot....

Let's hope it's willing to get better.

Phellim
August 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I don't know... It looks very cheesy. But I haven't seen the pilot yet so I'm not ready to decide completely.

I doubt it will live up to the cartoon in my memory (whether it was actually good or not, I can;t quite remember).

redhead
August 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM
i saw the pilot last night too. i agree with boyo that it wasn't awesome, and it wasn't awful, just inbetween. although, far better than most other pilot episodes i've seen. all the characters got introduced really fast, and decently (always a challenge in a pilot), and doing a 90 minute pilot was a good idea.

and come on! it's Flash Gordon! it's supposed to be campy! my complaints for the pilot are these:

- where's the camp???
- Flash is way too smart
- That's Ming?? he isn't over the top enough.
- That's Aura?? She isn't over the top enough either.

Kegasaurus said:

For me the Queen induced Jones adventure is the greatest Sci-Fi movie of all time.
i couldn't agree more. that movie is campy genius, and i love it. and yes, they did use the Queen song in the preview for next week's episode.

at least this will keep me occupied until BSG starts up again.

Zsinj
August 11th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Well, shoot, I missed the premiere last night! Well, I'll definitely see it the next time it airs. I'm wondering, is the Flash Gordon series based on a series of books? I know it's been around a rather long time.

boyo
August 12th, 2007, 08:02 AM
You can catch a repeat of it tonight on Universal HD, if you have Universal HD...I believe it starts at 9:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Savings Time (Please adjust to where ever on the planet you may live....)