View Full Version : BBC America's Jekyll

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

-Asher-
August 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Anyone watch this great, weird show?

James Nesbitt is mesmerizing. I missed the first 5 to 10 minutes or so of the first episode, but was quickly hooked anyway.

I know its only a limited series, 6 or 7 episodes I think. This is something U.S. TV needs to look at, instead of canceling shows so fast.

Wulfa_Jones
August 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM
The show is a pretty good take on the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde story. I think it was very well done - although some of the twists at the end weren't to my liking - I still really enjoyed the series.

James Nesbitt does a great job switching between the roles and really can be quite scary without doing much. I'm not a big fan of Nesbitt normally, but his performance in this series was very good.

The good news for Doctor Who fans is that Jekyll's creator, Steven Moffat is suppose to take over as the show runner for Doctor Who once RTD decides to hang his scarf up.

I know its only a limited series, 6 or 7 episodes I think. This is something U.S. TV needs to look at, instead of canceling shows so fast.

It is indeed only a mini-series of 6 episodes. However, it is being released on DVD in the UK as Jekyll: Season 1 so I don't know if the BBC plan to make another season or not.

Hobbit
August 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM
It finished in the UK a couple of weeks ago. For me it was another one of those series that starts well but goes badly wrong along the way.

I struggled to finish it. I guess I'm out of step with a lot here. It should've had a lot going for it, and though I tried to like it, like Torchwood, in the end I really didn't.

Hobbit

Shehzad
August 13th, 2007, 06:50 PM
BBC America just started showing it last week, and we're two episodes in. So far, I've liked it. James Nesbitt is fascinating as the title character, and there's some decent eye candy in the form of Michelle Ryan (which means that I'll be most definitely watching Bionic Woman...) Let's see how it goes, although I'm disappointed at the mentions of how it fared later in the run.

-Asher-
August 26th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Gotta say it, I loved this show. Kept me interested till the end (which was good until the last 2 minutes, then it jumped the shark :D)

Nesbitt was great throughout, and Gina Bellman, as his wife got better with each episode.

Vladimir
September 4th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Much like Couplings, the last part of this series was crap. I went from loving the show to hating Steven Moffat.

He really shouldn't be allowed to finish anything.

Priestvyrce
September 15th, 2007, 07:07 AM
I was intrigued through the first four episodes,but the finale(which was episode 5,I think) just destroyed ANY liking of the show. It started out as an interesting man vs. science/nature and desolved into hackery and bad soap opera.

Though it did have the delictable Gina Bellman(Jane from Coupling).

Hobbit
September 15th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I'd agree with that pretty much, except to say that I thought Gina Bellman was (for me) one of the weak links. Her dialogue was delivered appallingly, being one of two extremes: either wooden or hysterical.

Now either the dialogue would have worked with someone else or a better script would have worked for Gina: but it really didn't work for me.

Hobbit

Priestvyrce
September 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I'd agree with that pretty much, except to say that I thought Gina Bellman was (for me) one of the weak links. Her dialogue was delivered appallingly, being one of two extremes: either wooden or hysterical.

Now either the dialogue would have worked with someone else or a better script would have worked for Gina: but it really didn't work for me.

Hobbit

Oh, I agree that her acting was a bit stiff. I just enjoy gazing at her on the screen. I mean, if you are going to have a wooden actress,at least, she can look like Ms. Bellman.;)

Hobbit
September 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
LOL. Point taken, Priestvyrce!

Hobbit