PDA

View Full Version : identify book by story line?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

tomseeker1
August 13th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Can you help me id this book?

Guy gets fed up with society, goes to some island to live a life in peace with the natives. Sometime later he discovers a troop of young athletes have landed to play olympic-like games, but all are voluntary amputees, now with attached super-power prosthetics.
The guy decides the world needs him more than he needs the tranquility, and he goes back to society to try and fix things if he can.

I read it lots of years ago so these details are probably not quite accurate. Hope someone will recognize it, or at least tell me where to go to match the story with a name.
I keep thinking R.A.H since he wrote lots surrounding political thesis, but who knows?
thanks!
tom

Gkarlives
August 13th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Could this book be Achilles Choice Co-written by Larry Niven. I never read it but I do recall something to do with sports and maybe enhancements.

tomseeker1
August 14th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Nope... I looked up Achilles Choice but not same story. thanks for trying...

I'm thinking the term 'vol-amps' may have been used?
tomseeker1

Phellim
August 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM
It sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't think I've read it.

If you read through this list one of the names might ring a bell - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fictional_cyborgs

Ropie
August 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I think this is Limbo by Bernard Wolfe. It's one of David Pringle's top 100 SF books.