PDA

View Full Version : Video game myths/legends

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
August 18th, 2007, 08:38 AM
I remember when I was back in junior high, me and my buddies who were big video game players used to talk about certain purported myths and legends in video games. For example, in the first Super Mario Bros. game for NES, it was said that if you jumped all the way over the flagpole at the end of a certain level, you would enter this place called Rainbow World. I tried going over the flagpole in one of the levels and was so excited, until I found out that it wouldn't let me pass the level or go into the little castle. There's also a myth that in the Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time that you could get the triforce somehow, but I think that's been successfully debunked. So does anyone here know of any unsolved, debunked, or confirmed video game legends/myths?

saintjon
August 18th, 2007, 09:13 AM
the best one I can think of was getting General Leo back in FFVI. My buddy claims that he did it but he's also a chronic bullsh!tter. The most possible sounding claim he made was that you can force a glitch on the game where he takes Terra's place. This is pretty suspect though since also a known Terra-hater. What a guy.

My friends all used to carry on about the minus warp to minus levels in Mario Bros. I heard it from enough people that I figured it was true but I didn't care all that much.

They jabbed one into one of the crono trigger endings too. When you get the programmer ending one of them is like, "Have you discovered the 9999 damage attack yet?" And I don't know if I ever saw anything do max damage in Crono Trigger, I always wondered if there was some super attack we never found.

Phellim
August 18th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I heard one once, which said if you played Tetris for a certain amount of hours straight (we're talking over a day without stopping) that you would get a secret message in Japanese, with instructions telling you to go somewhere for a prize or something, I only heard it off this one guy who I used to go to school with, and he was a renowned teller of tall tales.

But there's also something called the Tertris effect, which is true. Basically, if you play tetris long enough each day, for an extended amount of time, that you start to see it all the time, even when you're not playing. Jackie Chan said he had to quit after this effect started interupting his stuntwork.

ArdusKane
August 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM
But there's also something called the Tertris effect, which is true. Basically, if you play tetris long enough each day, for an extended amount of time, that you start to see it all the time, even when you're not playing. Jackie Chan said he had to quit after this effect started interupting his stuntwork.

That happens to me for any game I play. :p

kater
August 20th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I think the GTA games have spawned a few, the most recent is that there's 'supposedly' a bigfoot roaming around somewhere in San Andreas.

Phellim
August 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM
That happens to me for any game I play. :p

It's only supposed to happen if you play a game thats very repetative and for a very long time.

...oh.

ColecoVisionist
August 26th, 2007, 02:26 AM
[QUOTE But there's also something called the Tertris effect, which is true. Basically, if you play tetris long enough each day, for an extended amount of time, that you start to see it all the time, even when you're not playing. Jackie Chan said he had to quit after this effect started interupting his stuntwork.[/QUOTE]

I was playing Tetris every day, but quit when I was driving into downtown Fort Worth and saw buildings falling from the sky to match the actual buildings on the ground. They seemed like puzzle pieces that would fit together.

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

ArdusKane
August 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM
It's only supposed to happen if you play a game thats very repetative and for a very long time.

...oh.

It happens to all genres of games that I play. I pretty much dream every night, so my sub-conscious draws inspiration from what I did in the day (i.e. playing those games).

Phellim
August 26th, 2007, 06:27 PM
It happens to all genres of games that I play. I pretty much dream every night, so my sub-conscious draws inspiration from what I did in the day (i.e. playing those games).

Im not talking about dreaming, I meant (and said) that people start seeing the game at the same time as they are looking at real things, so they can get very distracted.

Wolery
December 3rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
the best one I can think of was getting General Leo back in FFVI. My buddy claims that he did it but he's also a chronic bullsh!tter. The most possible sounding claim he made was that you can force a glitch on the game where he takes Terra's place. This is pretty suspect though since also a known Terra-hater. What a guy.

My friends all used to carry on about the minus warp to minus levels in Mario Bros. I heard it from enough people that I figured it was true but I didn't care all that much.

They jabbed one into one of the crono trigger endings too. When you get the programmer ending one of them is like, "Have you discovered the 9999 damage attack yet?" And I don't know if I ever saw anything do max damage in Crono Trigger, I always wondered if there was some super attack we never found.

The 9999 damage attack does exisist, I've seen it. It's when level 99 Ayla preforms a critical hit with her regular attack.

And speaking of Chrono Trigger, there were rumors galore about being able to save/recruit Schala into the party. That would have been sweet though...:(