View Full Version : Fantasy Movies.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

silverraven
August 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Is it just me, or is there a total lack of decent fantasy movies about? People really ought to come up with ideas, or Movie producers should get their act together and stop producing yucky chick-flick movie's.

Phellim
August 20th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Well, there's quite a few fantasy films around. But there is a lack of good, adult fantasy. Lord of the Rings was one, there hasn't been much others that I liked.

redhead
August 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM
i couldn't agree more! i haven't seen a great and perfect fantasy movie since. . . The NeverEnding Story. (ok, there were probably some good ones since then, but that one is my all time favorite).

i blame it on greedy and stupid movie producers.

greedy - they are in the biz to make money (why else would you dump millions of bucks into Tom Cruise??). name the most recent fantasy movie that made any money. can't do it, can you? cuz they all sucked (see "stupid", below). so very few, or no producers want to take the financial risk, when they can make a zillion bucks on a yucky yuck tear jerker chick flick.

stupid - movie producers seem to think that fantasy movies are only for kids. NOT TRUE!!! fantasy often involves evil characters, violence, romance, war, lots of adult themes. but dumb movie producers think that fantasy means kiddie, so they get rid of all and any adult themes, watering down what was once a great fantasy story into blathering crappiness.

The recent Stardust was quite good, and there is a lot of great fantasy (not the kiddie stuff) in Japanese Animation these days too.

so yeah, Movie producers should stop being so stupid, learn what real, good fantasy is, put their money into, and make a ton of money on returns!

Evil Agent
August 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM
There are TONS of good fantasy movies. Some really bad ones too though.

Phellim
August 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM
There are TONS of good fantasy movies. Some really bad ones too though.

Well, yeah. But what about lately, there doesn't seem to be as many good ones, because they are dumbed down, or for kids.

johnkarr
August 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Good adult fantasy movies are definitely in short supply. Done right, they'd make millions. Too bad so many fail

Evil Agent
August 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I do agree that a lot of the fantasy films lately have been dumbed down for kids... that's to be expected, with studio-franchises hoping to be the next Harry Potter. Phillip Pullman's "The Golden Compass" is coming out soon, from a series of books that was also compared to Potter. New Line is really banking their hopes on this one.

Just saw Stardust, that was very cool. Other greats:

The Lord of the Rings:
-The Fellowship of the Ring
-The Two Towers
-The Return of the King

-Conan the Barbarian
-The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (still essentially for kids, but that's when I read the book, and I loved it).
-Beowulf & Grendel (this is not the upcoming movie, Beowulf)
-Army of Darkness

Power to the J
August 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Here's my theory (for origional/not based off book only):

Everybody is saying that a good one would make a ton. Actualy, nobody would see it. Fantasy novels are (for the most part) frowned on, and the movies are/would be as well. Also, for the most part, a Hollywood writer would write cheesy, cliched stories, and somebody with knowledge and talent would be writing a novel with those ideas. That's why adaptions will have to do for now (and there are some good ones coming up).

Dromed
August 21st, 2007, 01:03 AM
Ladyhawke, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are all classic fantasy films that must be watched. There was a fantasy hype in the mid 80's from what I can see, considering most of the fantasy films i remember came from that time. There were many more.

I agree that in film today there isn't enough fantasy aimed at the mature audience. There definately should be some. Given LOTR's success you would think producers would see a market for it.

Wulfa_Jones
August 21st, 2007, 04:18 PM
I kinda like the cheesy, bad fantasy films from the 70s and 80s. Some of the modern ones are pretty bad... D&D 2 was awful!

I understand that Peter Jackson has picked up the rights to Temeraire, the books, by Naomi Novik are a alt history/fantasy series set during the Napoleonic Wars with dragons as an air force. Not read the series, but hear it's very good and it's on my too read list.