PDA

View Full Version : Californication

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Wulfa_Jones
August 22nd, 2007, 05:53 AM
I know it's not a fantasy or sci-fi or even a horror tv show, but I've just watched the first couple of episodes of David Duchovny's new show called Californication.

I've never seen so much sex and nakedness on a US tv show before! Maybe in something like Rome where the period setting neutralizes it somewhat... I suppose Sex and the City was quite bad with the amount of sexual activity, but I don't think you ever saw much. The first episode had quite a lot for a 30 minute show.

However, sex and nudity aside, I quite like it show far. Duchovny plays a East Coast author coping with living in California, writers block, his ex-wife, his teenage daugher and sleeping around - lot. It's a dark comedy, but is quite funny for the most part.

nick1689
August 28th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Is it just me or does anybody else find it weird that in this show the youngest daughter from the Nanny played a 16 yr old sexually active "child"?

Phellim
August 28th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I didn't know being a writer and sleeping around went hand in hand (or hand in something :rolleyes:).

I haven't seen it, but it doesn't sound like my kind of thing. If it's ever on when I havesome time to kill I'll give it a chance though.

Wulfa_Jones
August 28th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Is it just me or does anybody else find it weird that in this show the youngest daughter from the Nanny played a 16 yr old sexually active "child"?

Did not know that was the same actress... that is pretty strange actually... don't think I'll be able to watch The Nanny again. I was going to say she grew up fast but then realised the show finished in the US 8 years ago.

Evil Agent
August 29th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I have never even heard of this show, but I have to say, I think it's beyond stupid how it's named after a Red Hot Chili Pepper's song.

LAME!

Wulfa_Jones
August 29th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I have never even heard of this show, but I have to say, I think it's beyond stupid how it's named after a Red Hot Chili Pepper's song.

That's not actually true... I too thought that was the case until I was looking up information about the show and found that the term 'Californication' has been around since the 1970s:

"Californication is a portmanteau of California and fornication, written about in Time on August 21, 1972 and seen on bumper stickers in the U.S. states of Colorado and Oregon. It refers primarily to "haphazard, mindless development that has already gobbled up most of Southern California"."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication_%28portmanteau%29

kater
October 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Just been playing catch up with this show and whilst yes there is a lot of adult content and vocabulary I am absolutely enthralled. The writing is incredibly sharp, a lot of genuine laugh-out loud moments - most of them crude I confess and the acting is spot on, Duchovny in particular is superb. Plus with a format of roughly 30 mins episodes (sans breaks) it doesn't out stay it's welcome.

hoverX
October 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
i've just finished the 4th episode and am really liking this show. I think they go overboard with the sex sometimes but overall a good show.

Vinnie T
October 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Not a fan. Like everyone's said, it went overboard. Besides, I keep asking myself, "where's Scully?"