PDA

View Full Version : A video game to film adaptation that I think may work

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
September 7th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I was watching the Farscape Series the other day, and I was thinking, since the Jim Henson creature shop did such an excellent job on this series, maybe a series based on the Starfox games could be made and they could work on the characters. I always did think that the best way Fox and co. could be translated to live action film was through muppets. So basically I'm thinking like Dark Crystal in space here. ;) If they could think up a good plot it just might work, but on the other hand, that's just what makes almost all the video game movies suck; lack of plot. What does everyone else think?

saintjon
September 7th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I will admit the potential is there, but it always seems like it is with these video game movies!

I think in the right hands Metal Gear presents a great opportunity for film-makers, but they would totally find a way to make it suck. The biggest problem is probably the people with the ability to make a great movie from a video game origin don't have an interest in doing so. I can pretty well guarantee the day will come, it took a long time for talented directors who grew up on comic books and had an interest in taking it seriously came along, another 15 years or so and they should start making good movie adaptations of video games.

kater
September 8th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I will admit the potential is there, but it always seems like it is with these video game movies!

I think in the right hands Metal Gear presents a great opportunity for film-makers, but they would totally find a way to make it suck. The biggest problem is probably the people with the ability to make a great movie from a video game origin don't have an interest in doing so.

Unless they let Kojima have hands-on with the project.

I'm quietly hoping the Hitman movie will be half decent, the potential is there and from reading a preview in Total Film the makers got that.

saintjon
September 9th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I heard Ben Kingsley is going to be playing the Hitman character, he has the look but he seems a bit old doesn't he?

kater
September 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM
No, Timothy Olyphant (Deadwood) is the main character and the film is already in the final edit stage, I'm crossing my fingers for it :)

saintjon
September 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM
OH okay, I was sure I heard Kingsley was in there somewhere though. Whatever, starting to worry if the sleep-deprivation my job entails is finally affecting my brain.

gollumbells
September 16th, 2007, 12:36 PM
was fox in star wings or is that a different game?? if so a film with a rabbit and a frog with a fox would seem a bit strange.

Then again only peopl who have played the game would see it. dont think it would work

(love farscape)

Zsinj
September 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
You mean Starfox? Yeah. The frog is Slippy Toad, the rabbit is Peppy Hare, and there's also a falcon named Falco Lombardi.
But they aren't really animals, they're anthropomorphic animal like aliens from another dimension like in the old cartoon Bucky O'Hare

gollumbells
September 17th, 2007, 06:03 PM
no. theres this game for snes called starwings. it has fox slippy falco and peppy and some dog like person as the commander.

I think the enemy is called andross or something. i have completed that game on all difficulty levels except the hardest. (got to final level though)

Zsinj
September 17th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. The dog commander is Sgt. Pepper. And yes, Andross is the main villain. It must have been released under the initial title of Starwings and then changed to Starfox, like many other video games titles were changed.