View Full Version : G.I. J.O.E. movie

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Davis Ashura
September 8th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Riiiight. This one should be really good.:rolleyes: And the villain will probably be some global warming denier who doesn't purchase carbon offsets.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296054,00.html

Zsinj
September 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
This is terrible! I'm a patriotic American and one thing that always defined American patriotism was G.I.JOE. I loved the cartoon as a kid. Now probably if Cobra is involved in the new movie, they'll probably come up with some crap that it's politically incorrect to call them a "terrorist organization"! Sheesh! :mad:

saintjon
September 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM
LOL oh come on man. I dunno if it's funnier that they'd change it in the first place or that people are this upset. Seriously, when I was a kid they didn't even sell an actual GI Joe toy, I think the leader guy was Duke.

And anyways what's so terrible about an international SF team? it's a fictional character. You don't hear Canadians crying that Wolverine fights with the US based but largely international X-men organization. Give me a break.

Davis Ashura
September 8th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Upset is not at all how I feel. I simply feel contempt. It just makes me realize why individuals are so much better at art than corporations i.e. would you want to read a Fantasy novel written by Sony Fantasy books or by Martin?
So, yeah, make a movie about an international team of heroes, but why call it G.I. J.O.E.?

kater
September 8th, 2007, 02:13 PM
So, yeah, make a movie about an international team of heroes, but why call it G.I. J.O.E.?

To get bums on seats?

Davis Ashura
September 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM
To get bums on seats?

LOL. The name alone will probably do that in some places, but not over here I don't think. I think the marketing guys may have out-smarted themselves. The Transformers tapped into a ready-made market of 30 something people who grew up on that show as kids and remembered it fondly. I know I couldn't wait to take my own to see the big screen version.
A G.I. J.O.E. movie won't be able to tap into that built-in wellspring of fond reminescence on this side of the pond since it has nothing to do with the G.I. Joe we grew up on. So, yeah, it might do well overseas, but I don't think it'll do so well here. The way they're going with the movie, it could have been titled anything and it could have done well overseas. Hampered with the name G.I. J.O.E. and the conotation of Real American Hero, I think if might come off as false advertising over here though.

kater
September 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah it obviously means different things to different ages, as sj said above - as a 20-something my memories of G.I.JOE are the comics and the slightly superhero versions such as Snake Eyes (http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/snakeeyes2.shtml), Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander etc So the change wouldn't be as significant for me and perhaps places outside the US as it is inside.

Wulfa_Jones
September 10th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Why didn't they just call it Action Force? GI:JOE, for the better part of the 80s was called Action Force in the UK, as we'd not really get the whole GI thing. Then it was relaunched and called GI:JOE: The Action Force. I have the free comic book somewhere.

Anyhow, I don't really care about the name. What I am expecting and what I want is a big, fun, dumb action movie akin to Transformers. Plus the team was made up of people from different countries anyway.

I want to see Cobra Commander, Destro, the Crimson Twins and the Dreadnoks. I want to see Flint, Roadblock, Lady Jane, Lifeline and Shipwreck

I want to see Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow.

I want to see Sgt. Slammer (Sgt. Slaughter) beating off a dozen BATs with his bare hands.

Call it whatever, all I want is a fun action movie featuring characters I loved as a kid. I'm glad Sommers has the movie, I liked the Mummy films and think he's the right man for the job.

Yo JOE!

P.S. Found this fan film on youtube... not bad really!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAAxn7ywxng

Banger
September 10th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah it obviously means different things to different ages, as sj said above - as a 20-something my memories of G.I.JOE are the comics and the slightly superhero versions such as Snake Eyes (http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/snakeeyes2.shtml), Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander etc So the change wouldn't be as significant for me and perhaps places outside the US as it is inside.

I'm 32. I was at the right age for when the G.I. JOE action figure line first came out and I watched the cartoon series religiously after school. While the toys and show were marketed as "A Real American Hero," both the cartoon and comics were about a fairly autonomous G.I. JOE team versus COBRA, not the United States government against an international terrorist organization. The toys were made in Hong Kong, and the cartoon series was done by Japanese animators - if anything, the issue of G.I. JOE's "American-ness" is twenty-five years old. The 80s generation is the target audience, not the Baby Boomers and their 12" WWII dolls, and so they're crafting the movie for the former group. The people who are going to pay $10 to see this aren't doing so because they want to see a movie about an American armed force - they're going because they want to see Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Flint, Destro, etc. It's Larry Hama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Hama)'s characters, not the government affiliation of one of the sides, that'll put people in the seats.

As for the article in the OP, it's Fox News, what do you expect? Their two main commentators on the issue are a 60-something former colonel and a conservative blogger who seems to have missed out on the entire reconceptualization of the G.I. JOE line back in the 1980s. I'm guessing that between the two of them, they wouldn't be able to name five of the characters likely to appear in the movie. Hardly the audience Paramount is targeting the movie towards.

Zsinj
September 11th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I believe you're right, banger. Perhaps I was a little too harsh to begin with. If this movie contains all the original 80's cartoon characters, then I'm all for it.