View Full Version : Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skulls

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Wulfa_Jones
September 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I think this is now confirmed as the offical titles of the fourth Indiana Jones film and it doesn't sit well with me really...

The other sub titles had a catch to them, short and punchy. This one, whilst clearly holding on to the adventure serials that inspired it, is a little long winded.

As for the film itself... the move away from reglious artifacts proved to be a mistake in Temple of Doom so let's hope it's not the case this time. Of course it wouldn't have made as much sense for the Red Russians to be after Christian artifacts as I'm pretty sure they didn't have the Naiz's belief inthe occult.

I do like the fact they have set it during the 1950s and didn't try to pass Ford off as being much younger than he really is.

There is also a rumor floating about that Shia LaBeouf (who is cast in the film, perhaps as Indiana's son) will be taking a spin of film series along the same lines but with a younger cast member.

kged
September 10th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Seconded.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Skulls
Indiana Jones and the Crystal Kingdom

are all better, and more in keeping with the rhythm of previous titles. Still, I hope for good stuff - these movies are fun, when they get it right.

Banger
September 10th, 2007, 12:23 PM
To quote from Star Wars, I have a very bad feeling about this.

While I'm a huge fan of the films - at least Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade (The Temple of Doom is good but nowhere near as good) - I don't want to see them make a fourth movie just for the sake of making a fourth movie, and the stories about the writing/ditching/rewriting of the script raise red flags for me.

Oh well, Brazil went through a bunch of rewrites and ended up a classic, so there's hope, I guess.

And yeah, that title is terrible :(

Gildor
September 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM
In anticipation of how awesome this will be. I'm listening to the Map Room: Dawn by the incredible composer that is John Williams daily, just to get me in the mood.

Their is a great deal of speculation around this, but so far they've managed to keep things under lock and key quite well.

I don't like the title, it's probably the worst of those that were unveiled;

INDIANA JONES AND THE FOURTH CORNER OF THE EARTH
INDIANA JONES AND THE QUEST FOR THE COVENANT
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
INDIANA JONES AND THE LOST CITY OF GOLD
INDIANA JONES AND THE CITY OF GODS
INDIANA JONES AND THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS

Still now it's official, roll on May

Davis Ashura
September 10th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Please tell me Lucas has NOTHING to do with the writing of this, especially the dialogue. Tin ear doesn't begin to describe his efforts with the second Star Wars trilogy.

Merancapeman
September 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM
To be blunt, yes. Lucas, destroyer of stories, is indeed taking part of the last Indiana as he has for the previous three. Are you kidding? Spielberg could run it on his own, for sure, but Lucas has had his foot in this for a while now. I've known about this fourth installment since 2003 when Lucas was talking about it. Besides, Spielberg would probably have trouble on his hands if he kicked Georgie's butt out of production.

Wulfa_Jones
September 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Lucas has written the stories for the last 3 Indiana Jones films and has written the story for this one as well. However, both Spielberg and Ford have shot down earlier stories written for the fourth film. Spielberg and Ford won't let him get away with writing rubbish like he did on the Star Wars prequels.

Anyhow, the isn't writing the screenplay. That's been written by David Koepp (War of the Worlds, Spiderman, Jurassic Park).

JamesL
September 11th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I don't think the title is that bad. A little long, but otherwise ok. It's certainly superior to "Destroyer of Worlds" which sounds like some awful 1970s sci-fi B-Movie and doesn't seem to fit with the original titles.

It's interesting to see that Temple of Doom is universally held to be the weakest Jones film. Personally I prefer it to Raiders of the Lost Ark, though neither match Last Crusade, which is one of the greatest adventure films ever made.

Some of the above criticism of George Lucas I think is a tad harsh, he did after all play a massive part in the original films. Perhaps Spielberg could do it without him, but judging by the depressing mediocrity of the recent Transformers film I'm glad he's got Lucas along.

Ultimately, I just hope it does justice to the franchise. :)

Davis Ashura
September 11th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Lucas did come up with Star Wars, so it's not like he doesn't have talent when it comes to imagination. He just is a lousy writer and especially bad at dialogue.

Evil Agent
September 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Skulls flows WAYYYYYY better than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skulls.

It just sounds stupid. Can you imagine saying "Hey, what's your favourite Indy movie, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, or Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skulls?"

This is the first bad sign...