View Full Version : Torchwood Arrives!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

boyo
September 15th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Well, last week, Torchwood finally arrived in the U.S., debuting at 9 p.m. on BBC America and I was quite pleased.

As with most pilots, there were ups and downs, but I wasn't left with that feeling of "what was that all about?". It was more of an "Okay, let's move on".

No, the pilot wasn't great, but it was far better than some of the American television that has come out lately. I'm hoping for better as the weeks move on.

Those in the U.K. already know how it will go as they are already gearing up for Series 2 (or the second season, as we'd say here in the Colonies) but it shows great promise.

Priestvyrce
September 15th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Agreed. I wasn't blown away,but I was still left with the feeling that there was something to the show. I wonder, if the show will be like Dr. Who(and you would that it would since they are the same creators) or if it will find its own voice.

Intrigued enough to give the series a shot,at least.

Anthorn
September 15th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Take it from a brit who has seen the entire series. What ever character development a character recieves in an episode is forgotten about come the next.

The scripts are poor. and Jack mopes around for the entire series. It will disapoint.

milamber_reborn
September 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I'm a huge Doctor Who fan so I was always going to like it (though I was lucky I did because I read nothing but bad reviews before it reached Australia).

It definitely has its own voice, but many sexual scenes in particular seem forced. I guess it's hard to fit character arcs, loads of violence and sex etc. all into 13 episodes.

It gets better toward the end, so stick with it. Next season should be better if the scripting is more natural like I think it will be.

redhead
September 17th, 2007, 05:10 PM
i enjoyed Torchwood. and by now i've seen two episodes! the fact that I can actually remember when it is on, and make a point to watch it, must say something about the show, as i rarely know what day of the week it is, or what month we are in.

the plot seems light at fun, characters are amusing and snarky, with fluid morals. my kinda people. not to mention strange hands in jars, and the like.

i kept hearing this Capt Jack fellow was totally hot. ehhh, not so much, he's got too much of that Tom Cruise school of acting thing going on.

Adrift
October 11th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I love the new series take on Doctor Who. I really wanted to like torchwood, but I just couldn't make it through the series. Nothing really felt compelling. I don't mind a darker look at the doctor who universe but something about Torchwood didn't seem dark in the right way, if that makes any sense.

silverraven
October 22nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
Living in the uk i've already seen all of Torchwood. I thought some of the stories were pretty poor such as episode three (i was bored stiff throughout the entire episode) but i think it was quite good after about episode 4. Jack does mope around a lot and it is NOTHING like Doctor who. Which is good.

redhead
November 27th, 2007, 08:21 PM
jack is growing on me.

i find myself. . . suddenly hooked. must be all that alien technology.

Priestvyrce
November 27th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Yeah as the season grows to a close, the series is starting to get some legs. The whole cast has had an episode or so for themselves and thus, we've gotten to know them better. Still, I'm not overly excited by Torchwood. It comes off a bit fanboyish,if you get my meaning.

It tries to hard to be cool and out there.There is nothing organic/pure about the show.It just is and that's it. It does make you think or sit back in wonder;its just a group supposedly protecting Earth. So far, it has been more like the modern version of the Twilight Zone i.e. trying to capture the essence of what came before and yet just missing.

redhead
December 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM
It comes off a bit fanboyish,if you get my meaning.

It tries to hard to be cool and out there.There is nothing organic/pure about the show.It just is and that's it.

i'm a fangirl. guilty as charged.

"it just is and that's it". . . it balances out all the Martin, and Stross, and Herbert, and other folks that can weigh me down sometimes.