PDA

View Full Version : The Tudors

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Finnegan
September 17th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I've seen about two episodes and am already completely hooked. What do you all think of this series?

kalitara
September 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Totally hooked! I subscribed to Showtime last season JUST for that series! I'm going to be subscribing again when the new episodes begin in January.

Phellim
October 3rd, 2007, 10:40 AM
It's ok, I've only seen a few minutes here and there.

It was filmed in my town, in the Studios my dad (and sometimes I) works in. I've watched a some of it being filmed actually, and I got a couple of my friends jobs as extras, but I turned them down for myself - getting in and out of wardrobe and make-up is hell and you dont get paid for the several hours it takes.

Finnegan
October 7th, 2007, 08:14 AM
The only major flaw though are those cgi shots of castles. They really look crap compared to how cool the sets and costumes are.

Holbrook
October 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM
The opening shot did it for me "sigh" a 19th century coach??? Come on, if you are throwing that much money at a production, you can mock up a 16th century one. Sorry, but the 2003 production with Ray Winstone was better.

Phellim
October 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
The only major flaw though are those cgi shots of castles. They really look crap compared to how cool the sets and costumes are.

Like I said before, I haven't seen more than a few minutes, but I know they have real castles and big manors etc. while filming. Although, maybe they added even more in cgi, but I know for sure that some are real as I've been to them in real life.

FicusFan
October 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Oh, they hacked up the history worse than the wrong coach. The costumes are the wrong period, Henry Fitzroy dies as a small child, Henry VIII's 2 sisters, Margaret and Mary are made into 1. The one left has the name of Margaret and the life that mixes in the other.

The actor who plays Henry is too young (20s), and his Henry is a spoiled, sulky, insecure twit. Henry grew into a person/king with those qualities and really bad behavior, but he was a golden boy when younger. Henry was about 35 when he married Anne Boleyn. Henry was also considered to be an intellectual, and with his huge size, had lots of gravitas. This puny Henry is lacking in presence, and is as dense as a doorpost.

It is as near as I can tell MTV history. Its fast, and 'sexy', looks good, but is basically empty.

I saw the first season when showtime had a free offer to lure new subscribers. I passed.

Holbrook
October 19th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Margaret and Mary are made into 1.

What??? If I remember correctly Margaret married James IV of Scotland and was the grandmother of Mary Queen of Scots. And Mary married Charles Brandon and was the grandmother of Lady Jane Grey! Both granddaughters played a big part in the history of England. How could any writer worth their salt throw away such a lot of the political intrigue, surrounding those two families!

On a side note I gave up after the first show, couldn't hold my interest at all.

kalitara
October 19th, 2007, 10:16 AM
The actor who plays Henry is too young (20s), and his Henry is a spoiled, sulky, insecure twit. Henry grew into a person/king with those qualities and really bad behavior, but he was a golden boy when younger. Henry was about 35 when he married Anne Boleyn. Henry was also considered to be an intellectual, and with his huge size, had lots of gravitas. This puny Henry is lacking in presence, and is as dense as a doorpost.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers is 30 years old, and Henry was slender and quite athletic as a young man, just as he's portrayed in the series. I think he has quite a presence and seems pretty intelligent and cunning.

Henry was born in 1491. He married Catherine in 1509 (age 18). He met Anne Boleyn in 1525 when he was 34. He was 42 when he married Anne Boleyn (1533, the year Elizabeth I was born).

As for the costumes being in the wrong period... what period are they? They look right to me.

Henry was being groomed to enter into religious service, not to be king. But when his older brother Arthur died in 1502, he was suddenly the heir to the throne. He was 11 years old. He married Arthur's widow Catherine when he was 18 (7 yrs later).

The series has not yet seen the marriage of Henry and Anne, nor has enough time passed to see the death of Henry Fitzroy, as he didn't die until the age of 17.

As far as I can tell, the series has progressed just short of a decade, as the last we saw of Fitzroy he was about 6 yrs old... and he hasn't yet married Anne. Within the confines of a series (which so far has only lasted a season), I think they're doing a remarkable job sticking close to history.

You are unfortunately right, however, about Margaret being a composite of both Mary and Margaret. This is unnecessary as the real Margaret could have been so in name only and never seen on screen. Mary is who was mostly portrayed in the series... although they called her Margaret.