PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Story - Man resurrected as slave/servant for city of women

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Gilbey423
September 19th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I read this book many years ago, and all I can remember from the plot is that a man was resurrected to become a slave or servant for a woman that lived in a city of women. When I read it the book was in smaller format and it was well used so the story isnt a recent one.

Anyone have any idea what the story was?

Help!

Thanks,

Gil

Ropie
September 19th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Just a guess but could it be The Gate to Women's Country by Sherri S Tepper?

Gilbey423
September 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Hi Ropie,

That sounded close so I looked it up, but I don't think thats the right story. Some of the elements don't match up to what I remember.

Many thanks for the try. Hopefully somebody will hit it. This has been bugging me for quite some time!! LOL!!

Regards,

Gil

Mithfânion
September 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Edmund Cooper's Five to Twelve (1968) and Gender Genocide (1972) and Norman Spinrad's A World Between (1979)?

David Boultbee
September 22nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
I don't know the name of what you are looking for but another interesting book in that vein is To Stand Beneath the Sun by Brad Strickland.

From Amazon.com

The premise, a planet where women outnumber men 10 to one, where men are woshipped as Lords, but women run and rule the planet, and a ship called the "Sailing Star" is in a decaying orbit around the planet. From the Sailing Star falls a pod containing Tom Perion, a strange man who speaks the "High" tongue understood only by the priestesses of Kalea. What is his origin? He claims to come from a ship called "Galileo", in which dozens of other humans are still in stasis. Can a man get the women rulers of Kalea to believe his story in time to save the inhabitants of Galileo from a fiery plunge to the surface of Kalea? A great adventure story with some interesting observations about gender roles.

B5B7
September 23rd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Another story (a novella) in this vein is John Wyndham's Consider Her Ways.

JunkMonkey
September 24th, 2007, 04:26 AM
I read this book many years ago, and all I can remember from the plot is that a man was resurrected to become a slave or servant for a woman that lived in a city of women. When I read it the book was in smaller format and it was well used so the story isnt a recent one.

Anyone have any idea what the story was?

Help!

Thanks,

Gil

There is a whole list of books dealing with female dominated societies in SF here (http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~sparks/sffem.html#wows). The book you are looking for may be listed though you may have to do a bit more digging as there are no plot details given.

-Asher-
September 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Wasn't there a Tiger and Del book with that?

The second or third book?

Highroller
March 23rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Wasn't there a Tiger and Del book with that?

The second or third book?

I remember one that's a 1 word name. Alph I think for alpha the first. The women manage to clone a man from the frozen body of one of the last men. He tried to get away and froze to death. The book is more about how the women's society changes due to the addition of men to to the society