PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 question - HDMI?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Amaunette
September 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I want to buy my boyfriend an XBOX 360 for Christmas. I want to get one that has HD capabilities, and so far as I can tell from descriptions online, only the Elite version is described as having this capacity. However, a friend told me that now the regular XBOX 360 (I think it's called the Premium version, NOT the core) is also being shipped now with HDMI input. Is that correct? If I bought the $349.99 XBOX 360 console, could I watch HD-DVDs? Can anyone think of any reason to buy the Elite system?

Thanks a bunch, I know it's probably a simple question but if I'm going to shell out a few hundred bucks, I want to make sure the system has what I want.

kater
September 20th, 2007, 04:46 PM
The Premium version does indeed have HDMI as of August this year - http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9757547-7.html , you can tell the difference between the new and old packages by the small HDMI logo that should be on all new Premium packaging. Although you will need the Microsoft HD-DVD player to play HD DVD's, the actual machine won't play them straight up.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Elite system there are very few advantages to shelling out that much. Honestly I wouldn't bother stumping up $200 for the HD-DVD player either, until either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD becomes a dominant brand and the prices come down normal DVD's will do the trick, and you can play them on the 360 straight out the box. As long as you get a HDMI Premium package all the rest can be added to later - it's a helluva christmas present on it's own :) Hope this helps.

trentdick2882
September 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Just to let you know, you don't have to have an HDMI port for HD capabilities. HDMI is just considered the best way to view HD. You can get any of the HD resolutions through component cables. Honestly, I can't see the different, but then again I don't have a 100" television that I sit five feet away from either.

Amaunette
September 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the info, Kater! That's exactly what I was looking for.

And as far as HD capabilities, we don't have an HD TV yet, but I plan to get one in the future, and it seems to make sense to get an HD capable XBOX 360 if I can for now.

Thanks again!

trentdick2882
September 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Every 360 is HD-capable, even ones without HDMI.

Ice Fyre
September 24th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Hello my first post.

Quite frankly I wouldnt be going for a 360 unless there are specfic games you want e.g Halo3. I have looked at the games stable and the fact you have to get add on's for these machines and would say a Wii would be a much better choice (totaly a personal opnion I hasten to add!) the price of a wii is about a third of a 360 with almost all the features. Also I did hear that the 360 delux version only has a slightly bigger hard drive and a nice black case which you are paying a rather large premium for.

Another wee (heheheh Geddit) is that you would be playing a few more games with your boyfriend, which on reflection sounds a bit rude.....

Anyway toodles hope my onion helps!

Amaunette
September 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Every 360 is HD-capable, even ones without HDMI.

I may be a little confused, I'm behind on the entertainment technology these days. Are you saying that every 360 has the ability to process high definition, it just may not come with an HDMI cable?

Thanks for the response as well Ice Fyre (and congrats on the first post!). It's not actually for me anyway, but my boyfriend and I really like to play Halo 3. We even get together with a bunch of people in my department and do Halo 3 tournaments on laser projection screens. Also, my boyfriend is partial to shooters, and it's my estimation that the XBOX has more games of that variety. He would ALSO like a WII, and so would I, and I think the WII has really innovative gameplay, but they tend more towards adventure games, I think. So the XBOX comes first, then maybe next year, a WII. Give it time to get more games out. (I would, in my wildest dreams, also like a PS3, but it doesn't have many games out yet, and it's ridiculously and laughably expensive).

trentdick2882
September 24th, 2007, 09:37 PM
There are three kinds of cable that can process the HD signal (that I know of). The kind that comes with every X-box 360 so far are component cables. These have red, green and blue cables for the three components of HD video. So no matter what 360 you buy, you're getting HD. You can also use a separate optical audio cable for dolby digital sound.

HDMI is a single cable that combines HD video and sound, so you've got video and 5.1 dolby digital sound coming over a single cable. HDMI is the highest quality cable, but there's not a huge difference between component and HDMI unless you have a ginormous TV screen.

The newest X-box 360's do have HDMI ports, the older ones do not, instead they use the component cables. So! If you can get one with HDMI, you're getting the best, but either way, you're getting HD.

Though the Wii looks like a ton of fun and I want one, it wouldn't be a good choice for your boyfriend over the 360 because it does not support HD graphics.

Landon
November 19th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I have a first-gen 360 (it only came with component cables) and I can't enable 1080p mode. The highest I can go is 720p (even though my t.v. is 1080 p). I'd suggest going for the ones with the HDMI cables just to be on the safe side (and they're the same price as well).

Shehzad
November 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
As of now, there are three versions of the 360 on the market: the Arcade, the Pro and the Elite. There is a decent comparison on the Xbox website here (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm?WT.svl=nav).

While all are HD capable, the Arcade version ships with a basic cable, while the Pro and Elite ship with component cables, and the Elite additionally ships with an HDMI cable. You can always purchase the upgraded cables separately though.

The HD-DVD is an additional component to be purchased separately. If you do not own and HDTV at present, the best option is to get the Pro version, and once ready, you can splurge on the HDMI and HD-DVD upgrade.