View Full Version : Stargate Atlantis Discussion: Caution possible spoilers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

GateByte
September 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
The new season of Atlantis returns Friday September 28th at 10pm on the scifi channel.

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to discuss the upcoming season 4. You can discuss anything. What your opinions are on the new cast changes, what you want to see from the new season, or what you're least looking forward to.

If you get scifi, remember to watch it live when it airs. Stargate is a great show and the ratings of the initial season 4 episodes will help determine if there is a season 5. Which personally, I'd love. I don't live in the US so I can't contribute to the ratings, but I'd hate to see my favourite current scifi show become cancelled like it's predecessor.

So let's discuss this wonderful contribution to scifi television!

~An Official Team Stargate Member

GateByte
September 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I guess I'll kick off the discussion. :)

How do people feel about Carter replacing Weir? Personally, I think they're making a big mistake because I know a lot of people liked Elizabeth, and I really don't feel that Carter belongs on Atlantis. However, despite this, I intend to watch and at least give it a chance. Maybe Carter might work well on Atlantis. But all I can see coming is episode after episode of Carter vs. McKay. While entertaining (or slightly annoying, you decide) on SG-1 occassionally, I really hope it doesn't become a full-time thing on Atlantis. The show's fine without that.

Phellim
October 3rd, 2007, 10:38 AM
I guess I'll kick off the discussion. :)

How do people feel about Carter replacing Weir? Personally, I think they're making a big mistake because I know a lot of people liked Elizabeth, and I really don't feel that Carter belongs on Atlantis. However, despite this, I intend to watch and at least give it a chance. Maybe Carter might work well on Atlantis. But all I can see coming is episode after episode of Carter vs. McKay. While entertaining (or slightly annoying, you decide) on SG-1 occassionally, I really hope it doesn't become a full-time thing on Atlantis. The show's fine without that.

I dunno, I like Carter. It's nice addition while I wait for the movies to be released, and I always found Weir to a bit pointless and boring. Besides I think they'll leave a lot of the genius doctor stuff to McKay and Carter will be preoccupied with adjusting to her new surroundings and running the military aspects of Atlantis - though I'm sure she'll lean heavily on Shephard for that too.

GateByte
October 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
I don't know. I mean, I don't mind Carter. I definitely liked her on SG-1, I just dont' like the idea of them getting rid of Weir just to replace her with Carter. Was also quite disappointed with the new opening credits in Adrift, as Amanda Tapping gets a nice big shiny credit with Torri reduced to a guest star credit, when Amanda was the guest star (only appearing for like 5 minutes!) in the ep, not Torri. *sigh* I understand the logic behind it, but it still felt wrong :(.

Also, due to the ITunes mess-up, I've been able to see Doppelganger, my first Elizabeth-less episode (though not the first this season as whatever episode 3 is will also not have her in it). I found Carter kind of annoying in it actually. There was a lot of 'I've been through this before', 'that happened to you, didn't it?' stuff that was really kinda boring actually. It was like they didn't know what to do with her in the episode, but since they were paying her they had to find some way of making her seem useful. I don't know, I'll give it a couple more chances to change my mind about it. It might not be entirely the Carter factor though. I'm also still kinda peeved that they killed my ship for the sake of plot enhancement.

Anyways, Lifeline airs this Friday, October 5! Be sure to watch it when it airs if you can :). It's a great episode! I think it's very close to being my favourite :D

PuddleJumper67
October 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
How big of a role do you think the Wraith will play in season 4?

Julianag
October 5th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I remember a while back, Amanda Tapping mentioned that she is still contractually tied to the network or franchise for another year, hence the role in Atlantis. Originally as a guest star in a role similar to Caldwell as a guest star for about 15 episodes.

I think Carter will need some time to 'gel' with the dynamic of Atlantis team. Also it would be an interesting transition from her being the 'head science geek' to the boss, leaving behind much of the science to McKay.

It is a shame to lose Weir, but at the very least, she is still alive and there is a possibility of her still becoming a regular on the show yet again.

PuddleJumper67
October 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Canít wait for tonightís episode, LIFELINE. Very curious to see how their mission goes on the Replicator homeworld. Any thoughts?

kater
October 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Merged all the Atlantis threads, let's keep it to one please, there's not enough interest to warrant the clutter ;)
Kater

PuddleJumper67
October 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Whoís excited to see TealíC on this weekís episode, Reunion?!? I know it deals with Rononís people and is reportedly very character-driven. What good sci-fi is all about: character.

GateByte
October 11th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I remember a while back, Amanda Tapping mentioned that she is still contractually tied to the network or franchise for another year, hence the role in Atlantis. Originally as a guest star in a role similar to Caldwell as a guest star for about 15 episodes.

I think Carter will need some time to 'gel' with the dynamic of Atlantis team. Also it would be an interesting transition from her being the 'head science geek' to the boss, leaving behind much of the science to McKay.

It is a shame to lose Weir, but at the very least, she is still alive and there is a possibility of her still becoming a regular on the show yet again.

Yeah I know that Amanda Tapping was still under contract so that's why they decided to move her over to Atlantis. It would have been nice to see both on the show, rather than replacing Weir with Carter. And yeah, Weir isn't dead ... yet. I say 'yet' as TPTB don't have a good track record for keeping 'recurring' characters around *cough*Ford*cough*.

I'm willing to give it at least a few eps to see if Carter does gel into the team dynamic or just remains looking like an outsider. I don't know if I'll ever be completely comfortable with her on the show and no Elizabeth, right now it just seems weird.

I really thought LIFELINE was an amazing episode. Really showed how strong a character Elizabeth is, and I do hope I'm wrong and that she'll be back in full force at some point. Torri did an amazing acting job in the episode. I think it'll remain one of my favourites for a long time to come :).

Anyways, REUNION is this Friday at 10/9c. I haven't read any spoilers for it, but based on Doppelganger, it's most likely going to be the introduction of Carter as Atlantis' new leader (since she's in charge in Doppelganger). And as PuddleJumper67 stated, they're bringing over Teal'c for part of the episode, probably will have something to do with the Carter bits. Either way, looking forward to this Friday.